Prince William and his wife have launched a lawsuit against a French magazine for breaching their right to privacy, according to reports.
Many wondered whether the royals could keep their clothes on, after discovering topless pictures of Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, in a French magazine three weeks after Prince Harry was captured naked during a game of "strip billiards" in Las Vegas.
Prince William and Princess Kate launched a lawsuit against Closer magazine on Friday, AFP reports citing unnamed sources, the same day as the long-lens pictures of the Duchess appeared on its pages. They were allegedly snapped when Kate was sunbathing beside a private swimming pool with her husband during a holiday on France's Mediterranean coast last week.
The Duke and Duchess were staying at a chateau owned by Lord Linley, the Queen's nephew.
The French magazine's wacky website showed an image of its front cover with a heavily pixellated picture of the Duchess wearing a bikini and about to take off her top.
The pictures, however, were not pixellated in the magazine that came out on Friday morning. St James’s Palace confirmed they were genuine.
On the eve of the magazine's release, Laurence Pieau, editor of Closer, wrote on her Twitter page: "We can say that after tomorrow's Closer, Harry will feel less alone …"
The couple, currently on a Diamond Jubilee tour of Southeast Asia and the South Pacific on behalf of the Queen, have reportedly looked at the images on the website.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge responded to the publication with “anger and disbelief”, Royal officials have said, noting that “a red line has been crossed”.
“This is disappointing, saddening and turns the clock back 15 years,” a Royal source told The Telegraph referring to Lady Diana who was notoriously pursued by an army of paparazzi.
“The couple simply can’t believe that these pictures were taken, or that anyone saw fit to publish them,” St James’s Palace said adding it is currently consulting French lawyers.