Cyber-shield: Brazil announces govt system to block NSA snooping

14.10.2013 09:05

Brazil is creating an email system intended to shield the government from NSA spying. The country is set to vote on a cyber-security bill following revelations the US spy network had infiltrated the highest levels of Brazil’s administration.

Comments (19) Sort by: Highest rating Oldest first Newest first

Stevey Classic 16.10.2013 01:30

Good, very good.

Monte Kombi 15.10.2013 14:27

Steve 14.10.2013 20:46

There is absolutely no privacy online anymore, everything you do can be found. The old turkey of "if you have nothing to hide" still largely rings true, what annoys me is the whole fuss about sharing information. I'd only be pissed off if I was hacked, anything I didn't want to share, I wouldn't post online, simple really...

If you look closer I think RT are doing a tongue-in-cheek. The guy in the photo is obviously a jew

Monte Kombi 15.10.2013 13:19

I will say this one time and one time only - If there are ANY Israeli passport holders working on Brasil's SERPRO then you have no security. Its that simple. I can't explain to you how simple it is. Israel did 9/11., They have "SAYANIM" spies everywhere and the only way to protect your security is to make sure none of them are anywhere near it. Sorry but that is the sad aweful truth. DON't shoot the messenger I am just stating the reality of the situation and thanks to the wonderful Hollywood Holocaust Snuff film industry most people don't have the emotional constitution to handle the truth.

Monte Kombi 15.10.2013 13:10

Is this article a big joke? WHo is the Mossad agent in the photo? Protect brasil from NSA my bunda. Looks like Mossad Rats all over it.

S Kimbangu 14.10.2013 23:19

Let think this way. To me it seems that this idea will bring high number of US employees to unemployment. So from 800,000 (shutdown) and come back from Afghanistan next year to how much? I'm afraid that they will look where to locate them : means create another war. President Putin must be strong to stand against new useless war coming.

SS-Oberstgruppenfuhrer 14.10.2013 21:32

Bravo to Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff! I glad to see that someone is brave enough to stand up to the tyranny of the United States. I hope that other nations will join in the fight against American imperialism.

Steve 14.10.2013 20:46

Johnnycage 14.10.2013 19:10

Any attempt to secure data on the American controlled internet will be in vain.

Brazi l should be looking at changing they're ways, instead of trying to secure them should they want to prevent NSA/corporate spying.

Jermaine Noija 14.10.2013 17:28

I hope for the Brazilian gov. they didn't bought any Cisco. Because USA tech companies probably leave security holes for the NSA open.

Darren Hoffmann 14.10.2013 16:02

@Ean x

So at the end of the day, if the government could simply come to their senses and eliminate victimless crimes and laws that implicate honest people, such as marijuana being illegal, there would be no reason to mistrust your government and hide things from them. Becoming better at hiding information isn't the solution to this problem. It is reforming the system to one where people can trust and believe in, so that when espionage is really necessary, it's not used for the economic whims of corporate giants, and there is no possible reason as to why the gov't would need to spy on an industrial company.

Darren Hoffmann 14.10.2013 15:58

@Ean x

You have a valid point. Though the truth to the matter is the more accounts and information any government has access to, the more useless their spying system becomes. 20 siblings, kids and grandkids saying happy birthday to grandma is only going to bloat their databank and make it more difficult for them. Having an individual system that shuts them out only creates a target, and raises a flag for all uses in that system provided that one user is a real target. Protecting against spying for economic manipulation is one thing, but hiding your love letters to your wife only paints a target on your head.

Darren Hoffmann 14.10.2013 15:43

The end result is a broken system of privacy and security where all information is hidden for governments to do as they please, encouraging the USA style of private government that has no boundaries. I agree with encryption for industrial companies becoming victims of spying such as those in Brazil, but the government as voted for by its people should be 100% openand free. Truly there is no system that can succeed in our current world. Economics and government must be reformed, it's not the 1800s anymore, and this must be realized.

Ean x 14.10.2013 15:40

Would anyone really want an account that is run by a government, who own the keys to the encryption? Which is the best of two evils - being spied on by a foreign government or your own? I don't want either. I applaude Brazil's stance on defending against the US though. All countries who care about privacy, freedom and their own people should do the same. I can't think of many governments who do care though. I know mine in the UK doesn't.

Darren Hoffmann 14.10.2013 15:33

Which kind of defeats the purpose of e-mail, and even then makes it next to impossible to prevent some form of third-party or middle man who can gain access. Not saying it can't be done, but to create a system that is not accessible by another country, it will ultimately require their own local internet that has 0 connection to the North American net, and probably their own operating system, free from NSA supporters such as Microsoft and Apple.

Darren Hoffmann 14.10.2013 15:29

Anonymous user 14.10.2013 15:20

It seems you are as stupid as your name says. Bet you never heard about quantum cryptography.
Good luck to NSA hacking those.

True, with extreme encryption there is a strong layer of protection, but it all comes down to a key, which with new technologies emerging such as the potential throughput of "graphene transistors" of >400 GHz, brute force techniques are bound to become more prevalent provided that the data can be downloaded and cracked locally. Ultimately it will have to become a closed system like a bank vault. No internet connection.

vidisad 14.10.2013 15:14

Fritz 14.10.2013 14:48

Any system created can be and will be hacked. To pretend otherwise is to show how little intelligent the Brazilians are

No...this shows how little you know. Some networks can easily be hacked but some is almost impossible to hack

Fritz 14.10.2013 14:48

groingo 14.10.2013 14:10

A good first step but more important is that Brazil needs to stop destroying its environment first and foremost.

César Bouças 14.10.2013 13:42

The bill to be voted is the "Marco Civil" of internet aka "Civil internet Act". It assure the citizens sovereignty in the internet.