UK ordered Guardian to destroy hard drives in effort to stop Snowden revelations

20.08.2013 02:22

UK authorities reportedly raided the Guardian’s office in London to destroy hard drives in an effort to stop future publications of leaks from former NSA contractor Edward Snowden. The action is unlikely to prevent new materials coming out.

Comments (62) Sort by: Highest rating Oldest first Newest first

mergon 04.02.2014 10:26

If you org keeps info on note books you to get an industrial electronic magnet such as the one fitted to an industrial surface grinder ,its quite a compact unit really
But very powerful place a note on it and press the button and bingo a complete wipe ,does phones to .
Without one they have what they are looking for ,
with one you loose the phone and or notebook but they have no evidence !

fran7 23.08.2013 07:19

Draconian measures and misuse of police powers just like the siege going on at Equadorian Embassy in London with UK cow towing to USA re Assange.

Jan Vanosnabrugge 22.08.2013 14:50

Guardians' Rusbridger pointed out that the whole exercise was "pointless" ;....
But was it ? Did the two government witnesses take away the "destructed&quo t; hard drives which they desperately wanted because it would tell them the extent of damage caused by Snowden ?

Lieb 21.08.2013 11:11

What is going on in the free world? Politicians waste our money and they (And the banks!!!!) want to control our lives. It is our freedom and privacy!!! I suppose for posting this comment somebody dressed in a black suit and sunglasses will soon knock on my front door.

David Barnes 21.08.2013 10:48

@ MEJanssen

S orry, I should of made my example clearer. I know terrorists will not be using such simplistic words over the internet to plot. However, I meant there are key things - based on data collection- that I imagine the security services look out for.

I think you've all watched Enemy of the State one too many times.

trx 21.08.2013 04:50

Anglo-American "freedom of the press" means ... the freedom to destroy hard drives with information that the North Americans or British don't want the world to know about!

MEJanssen 21.08.2013 00:48

@ David Barnes, I am happy for your faith in the government and am sure you "probably" have nothing to hide. However, you should be warned that you included several "hot" words in your paragraph and then listed 6 target countries - enough to put a red flag on your file and probably give you your own designated NSA satellite. Can you prove your innocence?

Matthew Brooks Quinn 20.08.2013 22:49

Disgusted to be honest and not surprised. I Live in the United Kingdom and I'm very disappointed in what our Government is doing. Edward Snowden is a hero in my eyes and to many others too. People should not worry about GCHQ and journalists should continue posting articles about Edward Snowden. Saddened to think UK is apart of this pointless stupid program.

Andy Law 20.08.2013 20:17

if the government does what it likes and has backing of police and military what fcking chance have we got

Zina Antoaneta 20.08.2013 18:38

[quote name='David Barnes'
You are so casual regarding leaked documents about US government activities which go against everything that America stood for! Against the US constitution! If Orwell's 1984 is your ideal, then indeed you have nothing to worry about. Or maybe you play a role yourself in the new police state and bet on the fact that it will never turn against you. Be careful, it's a risky bet!

Otm Schank 20.08.2013 18:10

This is worse than Stalinist Russia.Totalitarian takeover of the free world.

David Barnes 20.08.2013 18:02

Personally, I don't have a problem with 'snooping' by the Government. You all act like they're interested in each and everyone of your lives, when realistically they're only going to be interested in key words or phases which may be a threat to security. Also, Government spying is nothing new. I've got no doubt in my mind that Russia, China, UK, U.S, France, Germany etc. etc. are all up to similar activities. You're all just looking for a story that's really not that interesting or new. I don't understand how anyone is really that bothered by this. Kind regards.