Two police officers have been killed in an explosion that struck outside Egypt’s Foreign Ministry in Cairo, Egypt’s Interior Ministry said. Security forces are currently searching the area. No one has yet claimed responsibility for the attack. The situation in the country is unstable after the vicious crackdown on Morsi’s supporters since his ouster in July 2013.
The SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon capsule lifted off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station at 1:52AM, and is projected to reach the International Space Station at 7 am on Tuesday. Among the supplies on board the craft are 20 mice, part of a new rodent research program on the ISS, the first 3-D printer in outer space and radar equipment that will assist in hurricane predictions, USAToday reported. SpaceX last week was granted a $2.6 billion contract from NASA to send astronauts to the space station by 2017. The next launch for the space vehicle to the ISS is tentatively planned in December. The Dragon will remain docked with the ISS Harmony module for more than a month and then will splash down in the Pacific Ocean.
The US plans to deliver 10 AH-64 Apache twin-engine attack helicopters to Egypt “to support their counterterrorism efforts,” Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said. The arrangement was confirmed by US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel to his Egyptian counterpart Colonel General Sedki Sobhy. “The two leaders reaffirmed their commitment to a strong bilateral relationship and agreed to continue to engage regularly,” Kirby said.
More nude photos of celebrities have been leaked online in what appeared to be a second massive hacking breach in September, US media reported. Personal pictures of actress Vanessa Hudgens and US soccer star Hope Solo turned up on Reddit and 4chan, but they were soon removed. Also photos and videos of actress Aubrey Plaza, designer and former child star Mary-Kate Olsen, actress Hayden Panettiere and actress Leelee Sobieski, along with more photos of Jennifer Lawrence were posted online. On September 1, a number of nude photos of celebrities were posted online, reportedly after a breach of Apple’s iCloud service.
The US Secret Service has increased security measures around the White House following Friday’s trespassing attempt – and has already had to arrest another man trying to breach the perimeter, Reuters reported. The second individual first walked to the White House gates, but after being sent away he drove up to the guards in a vehicle. “He refused to leave and was arrested for trespassing,” Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan said. The incident coincided with the official announcement saying that the Friday trespasser – Omar J. Gonzalez, 42, of Copperas Cove, Texas – was charged with unlawfully entering a restricted building while carrying a “deadly or dangerous weapon.” Gonzalez, who jumped a White House fence and made it as far as the North Portico doors of the presidential residence, was armed with a knife, the US Attorney’s Office said on Saturday. President Barack Obama and his family were away at the time of both incidents.