Germany, Brazil enlist 19 more countries for anti-NSA UN resolution

26.10.2013 17:54

Twenty-one countries, including US allies France and Mexico, have now joined talks to hammer out a UN resolution that would condemn “indiscriminate” and “extra-territorial” surveillance, and ensure “independent oversight” of electronic monitoring.

Comments (41) Sort by: Highest rating Oldest first Newest first

jane eagleton 27.10.2013 10:59

I live in Brazil and this is not a surprise. However, we don't mind at all that the U.S. is spying on our government. This government deserves to be spied. Brazilians are fedup with this party (PT) that is leading the country towards socialism/comunism. They are buddies with Cuba, Venezuela, Columbia, and others. Enough said.

Jeremy O'Meara 27.10.2013 10:18

I'm Australia as well, I'm and pretty sure Prime Minister Abbot isn't going to be protesting too much to Obama. It's pathetic, but we're used to this from the ruling class aren't we?

Stephen Turner 27.10.2013 10:11

This is all well and good and from the other comments a positive step especially since so many countries and probably more to follow have joined up. BUT, could I suggest that no-one gets to enthusiastic. Firstly even if the US apologises and guarantees it wont happen again - how would we know for one. They will just continue whichever way but make sure that there is not a cat in hecks chance that we would find out.

RETEP 27.10.2013 08:53

I am an Australian and most likely our country and its citizens are being monitored and spied on by the NSA... But our government has not lifted a finger or the phone to protest to the President of the USA. Nothing in any media or otherwise.. Australia is truly owned by the American administration,, well and truly ''owned''..

Renison. Pereira 27.10.2013 07:54

Excellent move, I hope India backs it.

David Loescher 27.10.2013 07:49

I am so sick of our government violating law abiding domestic citizens fourth amendment rights on a daily basis. Enough is enough. I am over joyed to hear that other countries are standing up to a tyrant. I am ashamed of the actions of the very country I live in. We need PRISM, XKeyScore both reformed. And we need to place a term of office for senate and congress, they should not rule forever. Also, simple possession should be decriminalized, not legalized. Treating ppl with addiction as criminals makes them unable to obtain a job, they cannot live anywhere, the system forces them back to crime. So many things needFix

john 27.10.2013 07:22

they way i m reading this it looks like the protection of human rights is beeing used as a pretext to argue against spying between goverments.. sort of like this: <<spying internationaly is unacceptable ans should be banned becausse spying nationaly violates human rights which is bad and should be avoided... >>
this is not a matter of jurisdictions ffs..

David Martin 27.10.2013 07:11

In this week's post of invertedalchemy I discuss the NSA leaks in the larger context of the U.S. pattern of behavior abuses. This topic was covered more thoroughly in my 2011 novel Coup d'Twelve: The Enterprise that Bought the Presidency.

Leon the Professional 27.10.2013 04:43

A resolution to "condemn" ? Pretty weak if you ask me. It means absolutely nothing and is nothing more than shaking your finger and saying "bad boy !".

This just proves why the UN needs to be moved out of the US and to a neutral country. My vote would go to Lebanon because I'm tired of seeing European countries being in charge of everything international.

I can't wait until China and Russia become the new players after the US collapses from within, from its oblivious corruption and mismanagement.

TILII 27.10.2013 02:44

This is what Obama was talking about, when he called it the "exceptionalism ".

US, Britain and apartheid regime of Israel are exceptional in the sense that they can have all the biological, chemical and nuclear weapons that they care to have, wage war against any country that they wish, commit all forms of war crimes, steal resources of the countries they invade and no one can question them since they do not have to abide by international laws. This is the way of Zionism and the arrogance that goes with it.