UK operates secret Middle East web surveillance base - Independent citing Snowden

22.08.2013 23:59

The UK has been working on a secret Middle East web surveillance base which is a part of a $1.5 billion project, a new report suggests. It intercepts and gathers emails, telephone calls, and web traffic for Western intelligence.

Comments (31) Sort by: Highest rating Oldest first Newest first

Lahcen Oizaz 26.08.2013 09:19

Remember the case of the assassination of the Lebanese politician Hariri. The only suspicious evidence pointing to the resistance movement were SMS messages. The very same signals intercepted and probably falsified by the same entities.

Jubba323 23.08.2013 17:11

Dominic Cote 23.08.2013 14:56

I think all this is giving me a headache and I'm selling my condoand my laptop and my tv and I'm buying a farm in Washington where they just legalized weed completely for adults 21 and over. Gonna live off the land and raise cattle, pigs and chickens and in the summer grow a great big garden and can everything. Anyone know a good solar installer geo thermal in the north west

Canned Weed...lol

Dominic Cote 23.08.2013 14:56

Elliott 23.08.2013 13:13

The comments filter won't let me post the URL but it's from today's Guardian.

Elliott 23.08.2013 13:11

RT, please update this article to reflect the report from Glenn Greenwald that Snowden is not the source of the Independent's story.

It's a critically important development that dramatically changes the story.

Peter Dunaj 23.08.2013 12:37

it's crucial for power elite to tap/intercept everything and everyone possible (see IngoSwans's Secrets of power)

eddie 23.08.2013 11:08

Lot of strange opinions here - as if ALL countries subject to terrorist attacks (ie. Russia, France etc.) don't operate their own covert operations. Beware of opening Pandora's Box my friends - it has the habit of biting back !

Ben Douglas 23.08.2013 10:56

For anyone wanting to know where the base is,...read comment by anon 23.08.2013 09:55

Others has already pointed the way and when I did a search for it, I found it.

I tried posting the link but the comment was removed,..by whom I don't know, but it obviously must be on the money..lol

Kenneth T. Tellis 23.08.2013 10:29

The U.S. government uses the CIA to do Industrial and spying on the fashion design design Industry for the Corporate entities that are inbed with the government. Worse still they intercept all communications made by European businesses to under cut and win contract bids all over the world. Thus espionage is only one sector of the CIAs arm, which are like tenticles of an Octopus.

Riwen 23.08.2013 10:27

Yet these people claim to be the most enlightened, liberal and tolerant folks on the planet. They are that 'tolerant' you get jailed for being intolerant on the internet. And now, here comes this all... I hate these hypocrites.

anon 23.08.2013 09:55

just search for British Bases in Cyprus and Signals Intelligence in google and this provides a good description of what is happening.