Torture, starvation, infant execution in N. Korea prison camps exposed to UN panel

20.08.2013 12:44

Horrifying accounts of human rights abuse in North Korea were described by witnesses to UN Commission of Inquiry. They claim to have survived Gulag-style camps, where public executions, torture and deaths caused by hard work are said to occur regularly.

Comments (26) Sort by: Highest rating Oldest first Newest first

Justin Yuen 23.08.2014 01:03

All I want to know is when did it start? Cause I'm doing a report on this for a project and all the websites I go to doesn't say when it started

Chris Judge 08.01.2014 23:26

What a load of idiotic comments. North Korea has the most odious regime in the world and any comparrison with other countries completely misses the point.

Thei r own state media reports that the leader's uncle has been murdered by the state because he could possibly be a potentail rival. They also proudly report on their TV news that a poor traffic policewomen was given a death sentance for sneezing on duty.

Pleas e, please, please don't try and compare North Korea with the USA or any other country.

Leon the Professional 21.08.2013 13:50

This guy's story is breathtakingly sad. Poor guy.

Malgorzata 21.08.2013 11:49

Travis 21.08.2013 10:16

200,000 people held in North Korean
prison camps

But the Germans did do that, even crazier things, but then again, so did some of the allies....

Malgorzata 21.08.2013 11:07

Ed Camilo 21.08.2013 06:14

Is this just a way to make us forget about the US torture chambers in Guantanamo?

And the birth defects and health problems of the once democratically bombed Vietnamese and Iraqis?

Katie Jaydee 21.08.2013 06:43

I agree with the above comments that you can never know what's REALLY going on. Perhaps a lot of it IS propaganda. Nonetheless, my main point is: where is America? If it invaded Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and other states for "liberation&quo t;, where are they now when North Korea needs them? Oh wait, I forgot, NK probably doesn't have any oil. Nevermind then.

Ed Camilo 21.08.2013 06:14

Ed Camilo 21.08.2013 06:12

What a bunch of lies! With all the satellites in the world why aren't there actual video footage of all these allegations? I still remember the media hype about stories that turned out to be propaganda and yet ,when proved to be so, were not given any attention in the media! I believe nothing that I cannot verify; because, I've been lied to, too many times!

trx 21.08.2013 05:38

Whenever I hear some "international& quot; (i.e., Anglo-American or Western-controlled) human rights organization make allegations that just so happen to vilify a nation that is on America's enemies list, I am reminded of the Kuwaiti Incubator Babies atrocity story that America peddled to get Proud Amuricans to support the 1991 Operation Desert Slaughter war. That human rights atrocity story was regurgitated by Amnesty International. Too bad for all these faux human rights crusaders that the Kuwaiti Incubator Baby tale also was an outright lie. Don't be surprised if this Korean atrocity story is as well. Right, RT? LoL.

Stealth Rider 21.08.2013 03:54

This guy - Shin Dong-hyuk has stumbled upon a good story that has rewarded him well.
I asked many questions on my recent trip to NK, or as they prefer DPRK. There were no stories like this. Jail is jail. Maybe its harder in some countries than others. But that's life and its no business of any one nation to dictate to another how they should run their state.

Michael Bell 21.08.2013 03:33

I just returned from NK. Lovely place. It's true they don't have many traffic lights, but instead, they have pretty traffic girls at all the intersections! Nice!! :) From Pyongyang to the 38th parallel there is agriculture as far as the eye can see (potatoes, corn, rice) and much livestock (not so obvious from the road). No starvation there, for sure.

Giant Robo 21.08.2013 03:08

I bet people of DPRK most likely are happy & full of pride! I don't believe in North Korean gulags, certain the idea is more fake USA propaganda, just like fake Iraqi WMDs that never was found.... & fake rebels in Syria who are really US-funded terrorists... & the fake Iranian nuclear threat to serve Zionism. It is all lies to serve elite agenda. Fabricating such crisis or threats, is a deception used to excuse more of USA's unjust wars, genocide, and resource theft. In North Korea's case, clearly USA wants bases there to threaten China & Russia. Only reason anyone starve in DPRK is due to USA's blockade.

Melinda Roberts 21.08.2013 02:56

“But it’s obvious that North Korea is a tough nut to crack." This is the key phrase. NK is NOT like Lybia and Syria to be raped and plundered at will by the West. This is what really matters at the end of the day.

Michael Bell 21.08.2013 02:05

Without proof, I believe very little of this story. Where's the proof?

RayOne 21.08.2013 00:53

This is a lifestyle choice.

Aristo 21.08.2013 00:16

No hard nosed american journalist would accept this grizzly fantasy as based on facts. You should become more
suspicious with your sources of information.