Gmail & privacy: No, Google didn't suddenly go all evil

21.08.2013 07:44

Recently, reports surfaced that Gmail users allegedly didn't have a legitimate expectation to privacy. Provoking an outrage, it turned out to be far from the truth.

Comments (15) Sort by: Highest rating Oldest first Newest first

Zeeman 23.08.2013 01:41

Long story short, at the same time I was using a Gmail account to test inbound email to my corporate mail server (to make sure that spam filters are not blocking emails).
Well, a few months after I opened Facebook account I logged in to Facebook to investigate their policy changes. Immediately, the page prompted me to provide lot more personal information like my religious and political affiliation etc. And then I noticed that all of the test emails that I sent via gmail to my corporate email server were now linked on my Facebook’s profile.

Zeeman 23.08.2013 01:41

Many years ago I opened up a Facebook account because a friend sent me a link that required me to be Facebook member. Never liked Facebook, I had a bad feeling about this enterprise from the beginning.
Since I had my suspicions about Facebook, I was very careful not to volunteer any personal information and I even used a different network that I could not be linked to when I opened the account.

Zeeman 23.08.2013 01:40

It cost lots of money to run a huge data center, servers, switches, data pipes, ever increasing storage arrays and all other overhead and expenses. I shall know, as I am in that line of business.
What kind of business would give you huge mailbox for free, free email, free apps and all other services unless they were bankrolled by someone with lots of money who needs the information on you (and I)?
Facebook is another perfect example of this "sell your soul" business model.

Zeeman 23.08.2013 01:40

Google became evil the moment they got visited by the feds and offered a "deal" and they accepted it, probably because the money offered was enormous and alternative to refusal was not very pleasing.

nobody1234 22.08.2013 17:39

The paragraph about PIN codes and ATM numbers is completely false information.

PCI compliance is a big deal, and any payment terminal that still functions this way is extremely outdated. In most modern terminals your EFT transactions are encrypted from the second you swipe your card until it is processed by the host. At no time is the card data available to anybody but the card processor and host.

I find your statements about the Consumer Watchdog group 'not understanding email' to be extremely hypocritical given that you are talking about PIN codes and ATM numbers that you clearly don't understand.

james grant 22.08.2013 12:59

I think the flowers were for the death of Google.

NIUBI 22.08.2013 11:59

google has always been dirty. theyve always censored out things that incriminate western regimes. in q tel does not sponsor corporations that dont "play ball". their employees have to be dirty as a prerequisite. they dont hire anyone who doesnt submit to their fascist, imperialist ideologies. google decided to refuse Chinese censorship, in other words, they decided to help the u.s. regime to promote their disinformation campaign. google believes in the freedom to spread imperialist propaganda, and censors out 99% of revolutionary ideas

Wayne Chavais 22.08.2013 04:50

Instead of trying to evade the inevitable, that is NSA filtering your email by key word searches, bombard them with terroristic comments or subject titles. Example: bomb Washington, or blow up LA. Then just write "jk" or "just messing around" to avoid the email as to get taken serious. Flood their servers with bullshit and try to use it against them. And ffs stop using gmail or Google products. You give them the power. If you didn't use it they couldn't read it. Lastly, I bet I am going to he black listed for this comment and thus do not support violence or any aggressive behaviour. Just civil rights.

KOS 22.08.2013 04:35

Nothing is less 'secure' than unencrypted email - it has always been this way...

You can encrypt email if both the sender and recipient have digital certificates which you buy from a company like Verisign -- about $30.00 a year - a royal pain as it turns out - by design in all probability.

If you send encrypted email -- your government and the American government assumes you are a terrorist or a criminal of some sort - drugs, pedophile -- the worst is assumed.

berrtus 21.08.2013 20:43

There are a lot of white washes going around many paid for with government money. I saw a white wash on the 2 billion bullets sponsered by Fox News. And I have seen many on this NSA scandal. Google may have not gone evil overnight but it is clearly NOW evil. Google is an NSA front. They play good cop bad cop but they know what they are doing. They lie about whether or not the NSA is located inside Google and then the info comes out and proves them liars. Google censors search results, and raises up others for political reasons. Google keeps records of every email you delete FOREVER. gOOGLE IS EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!

Howard Smith 21.08.2013 17:45

So, this is nothing really new. When Google+ first came out and if you read everything in the fine print, everything you send to anyone through Google, Google collects and just tucks it away for their own safe keeping.
Everyth ing put on Google docs is Googles now and they can use that information for whatever they wish. Leaving no privacy to the modern man, even searches put into google gets sent through on keywords and filtered out to something on the otherside. I do believe there was a woman visited by the feds for using the words "Pressure Cooker" and "backpack" in a google search. Privacy means nothing anymore.

Rich Tygart 21.08.2013 16:23

RT News explains the U.S. in a nutshell.It's all because of the international Zionist Jewish Rothschild bankers............. ......"As any organization gets money, power, and influence, it starts attracting people who desires money, power, and influence, rather than the initial entrepreneurs or activists who were in it for changing the world for the better."....... ...............Georg e Washington and Ben Franklin would slap Obama Bin Laden and George Bushwacker in the mouth and then have them hung as traitors!

Rich Tygart 21.08.2013 16:21

RT News explains the U.S. in a nutshell.It's all because of the international Zionist Jewish Rothschild bankers............. ......"As any organization gets money, power, and influence, it starts attracting people who desires money, power, and influence, rather than the initial entrepreneurs or activists who were in it for changing the world for the better."....... ...............Georg e Washington and Ben Franklin would slap Obama Bin Landen and George Bushwacker in the mouth and then have them hung as traitors!

Skillz 21.08.2013 15:50

Why did Regina Dugan (Director of Darpa) move to google again?

Rod 21.08.2013 14:52

Only idiots thought gmail was private from the start. The same could be said of yahoo mail and the less popular Hotmail.