Keep up with the news by installing RT’s extension for . Never miss a story with this clean and simple app that delivers the latest headlines to you.

 

War machine churns despite shutdown, participator economics: Alternative to capitalism?

October 09, 2013 04:30

View full story

Comments (7) Sort by: Highest rating Oldest first Newest first

 

Pariah 15.10.2013 05:19

@buenos

I think he was merely attempting to reconcile the perceptual gulf between 'professions' and 'trades' with respect to their 'value' to society - financial or otherwise.

"..only the best and brightest are allowed to go to uni, and then the society benefits from it too."

You're clearly not a student of neuroscience because if you were, you'd realise that 'brightest' is entirely subjective according to cerebral application.

Having said that, whilst I support the equitable division of labour, the concept of 'balanced job complexes' seems to me to be inherantly inefficient and ultimately self-defeating.

 

buenos 10.10.2013 16:08

I think the guy talked about PARECON does not understand a few things:
1. He said people should be compensated based on their effort, but he did not consider education as "effort". In the US it might not be much effort, but for example in Hungary only the best and brightest are allowed to go to uni, and then the society benefits from it too.
2. He thinks that the big inequality is caused by doctors and engineers. I find it offensive as I am an engineer. Please someone tell him about investors, CEOs and managers.
3.soun ds similar to communism that we had in Hungary, where the party members were more equal and got more

 

B 10.10.2013 13:21

@Candide: PARECON would not be perfect, but neither is capitalism. Capitalism has some major problems (e.g. perpetual war, environmental destruction, overpopulation, crime) that seem to be getting worse.

Some thing like PARECON would be much better for the bottom 80% than capitalism. The only reason why those of us lucky enough to be in the top 20% tolerate this injustice is because we have convinced ourselves that the remaining 80% of the people do not deserve any better because they are too stupid, lazy, speak a different language, have different skin color, or worship a different god.

 

Candide Schmyles 10.10.2013 03:50

Another fine show.

The participatory economic model has a few flaws I think. First one is in such a fair system education is bound to vastly improve and thus leave a dearth of people willing to do the dirty grunt jobs. Next is that that remunerative credit gained would have to be non-transferable. Transferable assets leads to power accumulating in a few individuals. The third is how could you ever roll this out?
It is Utopian and like the Zeitgeist model however much I wish it was a reality I just cannot see how you can transition from current system to those.

 

lockanloadpete 09.10.2013 23:47

utopian notions abound yet are failures in the making.lets approach things with a level head.thoughtfulness in the formulation as well as in the application.no pat system can ever be perfect.good people are required to properly apply principles,laws,etc. corruption seems to be a constant in all mankinds endeavers.this battle continues till judgment day.

 

rtfakeid 09.10.2013 18:45

Obviously Abby is looking for a better solution. Here it is. Participatory government. Not a joke. Get rid of taxes completely and instead allow citizens to participate in the programs they want to. You get a list of things offered for participation and their cost. You literally buy into a program by a fee (tax) and are registered for that program.

 

Bof Thegaffe 09.10.2013 13:27

Mr. Albert's theory is complete bunk. The main issue, as Abby pointed out, is "Who is determining the value (of the work) in this scenario?" His answer is "the population" and if you listen to his explanations, it comes down to exactly what is usually conceived as 'the market.' In other words, his whole theory comes down to 'market economy,' but he uses fashionable buzzwords like 'power' and so on to confuse everything.

Add comment

Authorization required for adding comments

Register or

Name

Password

Show password

Register

or Register

Request a new password

Send

or Register

To complete a registration check
your Email:

OK

or Register

A password has been sent to your email address

Edit profile

X

Name

New password

Retype new password

Current password

Save

Cancel

Follow us