Floyd Mayweather Jr. will get a record of $32 million as a guaranteed fee for Saturday’s fight against Miguel Cotto. Oddsmakers put the American veteran a 6-1 favorite in the Las Vegas fight, where he will be defending his junior middleweight title.
The cut of the revenues is the largest since Mike Tyson was guaranteed $30 million in the notorious 1997 heavyweight championship bout, in which he bit Evander Holyfield’s ear, Executive Director Keith Kizer told ESPN.
Cotto is guaranteed $8 million, while both boxers will get a share of the pay-per-view profits. More than one million subscriptions at $59.95 each may be sold for the Home Box Office pay-per-view boxing event, ESPN says.
Mayweather has won all of his 42 professional fights. A win on Saturday would probably make his nights pass easier when he goes to jail on June 1 for what is expected to be a two-month sentence for domestic abuse.
There are still questions as to why Mayweather isn’t taking on Manny Pacquiao in the much-anticipated fight, which could become the richest in boxing history. Mayweather continues to insist he doesn't need Pacquiao. Earlier this week, he claimed he believes Pacquiao uses steroids and that he wouldn't want to risk his health against him.
Relentless puncher, Cotto (37-2, 30 knockouts) has apparently regained belief in himself after finally avenging a beating he took from Antonio Margarito four years ago that put his career in question. The Puerto Rican stopped Margarito in their rematch last December, and is by no means willing to be a whipping boy on Saturday.
By posting your comment, you agree to abide by our Posting rules