The still remaining hopes of salvaging the hotly anticipated fight between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. have been dealt another blow after the Filipino filed a lawsuit against his opponent and his team.
Pacquiao and Mayweather had been due to settle their differences in a clash on March 13, but a row over blood testing seems to have finally ruined the contest.
Pacquiao has recently refused to accept Mayweather's conditions for Olympic-style testing, saying he fears a blood test less than 30 days before the fight could “weaken” him. Pacquiao has proposed instead to have a blood test immediately after the fight and also said he would give urine samples throughout the build up.
Despite all that, Mayweather's camp has accused Pacquiao of having used performance-enhancing drugs.
In response the Filipino has filed a defamation lawsuit against Mayweather, his father Floyd Snr and uncle Roger Mayweather, as well as Oscar De La Hoya and Richard Schaefer – both part of the promotional team.
"Mr Pacquiao simply could not allow these false, reckless and malicious statements to go unanswered," Pacquiao's attorney Daniel Petrocelli told Reuters.