Polish heavyweight Mariusz Wach has admitted to doping in his failed title fight against Ukrainian super-champ Wladimir Klitschko.
Wach, who previously denied allegations of doping, now claims the banned substance got into his body without his knowledge.
"Doping was poured into my system for a long time,” Interfax news agency reported, quoting the boxer’s interview with Gazeta Krakowska.
“My suspicions fall on the coaches,” he said. “I plan to conduct my own investigation, but won’t make the results public. In addition to the two of my coaches, a large number of other specialists helped me to prepare for the bout. And I really don’t know what they’ve been doing exactly.”
"I can’t name those forbidden call substances because I was forbidden from doing so. But, according to my information, the quantity of dope in my sample was minimal," Wach added.
Wach was beaten by Klitschko on November 10, but impressed fans and spectators by surviving all 12 rounds against the world’s top heavyweight.
The 33-year-old is now awaiting sanctions from the Federation of German Professional Boxing, but said that he plans to continue his career no matter how harsh the penalties are.