WBO and IBF heavyweight champ Wladimir Klitschko says he’s going to hold at least three fights in 2010.
Cancellation of a bout with David Haye and injury problems resulted in only one appearance in the ring for the Ukrainian. Dr. Steelhaamer knocked Uzbek challenger Ruslan Chagaev out back in June.
“You could say I am very anxious to get back in the ring. I definitely want three fights this year after what I went through last year,'' the boxer told the Miami Herald.
“Last year, [elder brother] Vitaly was busier than me, so now I have to catch him. I am feeling great and have no ill effects from my injury,'' he added.
Vitaly Klitschko has successfully defended his WBC from Kevin Johnson, Chris Arreola and Juan Carlos Gomez in 2009.
“Right now, the fights have to go to Europe, but I am targeting one fight in the US this year – perhaps two. We have to hope there is a broadcaster that will step in and help make it happen,” Wladimir said.
He’ll be making his return to the ring on March 20 against Eddie Chambers of the US, and the 33-year-old believes the bout will be no walk in the park.
“Eddie Chambers is my former sparring partner and has improved a lot. I will not underestimate him. He had a great performance against Alexander Dimitrenko, who is taller than me,” he said.
“I definitely expect a tough challenge,” he added.
By posting your comment, you agree to abide by our Posting rules