Indian anti-rape fury
- An Indian teenager, one of the main suspects in a gang rape case in New Delhi together with five other men, was sentenced on Saturday. This is the first sentence served in the deadly case which sparked protests across India in the winter.
- The companion of the woman who died after being brutally gang-raped on a New Delhi bus tells TV that police “wasted time” arguing jurisdiction while he pleaded for an ambulance and clothes. Shocking details of the attack come as protests continue.
- Five girls aged between 2 and 10 have been raped in two separate incidents in India, four of whom were assaulted by the same attacker. The attacks are only the latest in a string of brutal sexual assault cases that have recently outraged the country.
- A young woman is in hospital in critical condition after throwing herself off a moving train in an attempt to escape molestation. It’s the latest in a number of incidents that have exposed the vulnerability of women in India.
January 05, 2013 16:47
- Indian prosecutors revealed shocking details about a recent infamous gang-rape. A juvenile suspect was the most brutal abuser: He reportedly pulled out the victim’s intestine, and offered to toss her out of the bus. He may avoid capital punishment.
- A sense of insecurity has gripped the female population in parts of India. As the ashes of the New Delhi gang rape victim were scattered over the Ganges River, hundreds of Indian women applied for firearm licenses and joined self-defense classes.
- India is drafting a bill proposing 30 years’ jail for rapists and possible chemical castration. It comes after a 23-year-old woman, gang-raped in New Delhi, died in hospital, drawing public attention to an epidemic of violence against women.
- Six men have been charged with murder in connection with the brutal gang-rape of a woman on a Delhi bus that sparked mass protests against sexual violence across India. The victim died in a Singapore hospital on Saturday, a week after the incident.
- Amid widespread outrage over a gang rape in Delhi, another victim of sexual assault in India has committed suicide after police and suspects from an influential cast pressured her to drop the case.