​DOJ seeks to lift limits on hacking into suspects' computers

10.05.2014 02:31

The US Justice Department wants authorities to have more leeway to hack into computers - at times with “zero-day exploits” on software vulnerabilities - amid criminal probes. Critics say the plan could violate privacy rights and lead to online insecurity.

Comments (9) Sort by: Highest rating Oldest first Newest first

starstuff 05.07.2014 03:39

Troy Stocker 12.05.2014 18:47

DOJ , hack away , my computer has 2 independent firewalls ,the windows one is turned off, I challenged someone from anonymous on facebook , the hacked my F/B account and used that to try to get into my system , one of my 3rd party firewalls detected the probing attack and he was blocked

Fi rewall block known packets, what happens when your firewall handles an unknown packet using an unknown protocol? Probably it will pass it trough and your computer is done. The only way filter packets 100% is at the physical layer where you can inspect every signal level

Regula 04.07.2014 10:11

Unfortunately, both the police and the FBI long hack into any computer they please - without any court orders or authority from anywhere. The problem with all those hacking techniques including zero days is that they exist and will be used, legal or not, for the often turpid ends of FBI, law enforcement and their buddies who participate in not so kosher actions.

Troy Stocker 12.05.2014 18:49

Troy Stocker 12.05.2014 18:47

Troy Stocker 12.05.2014 18:47

Nancie Neal 10.05.2014 19:58

The reason why they ask? They're already doing it and are afraid to get caught (like the NSA).

Dark Horse 10.05.2014 18:10

So they basically want to rat people's computers. Check your computer daily for rats and keyloggers. Make it a daily habit.

D'Markus Jones 10.05.2014 14:42

Time to encrypt your home folders and or use full disk encryption.

Eric Daniels 10.05.2014 04:03

DOJ is becoming a joke like the NSA. Government is becoming a peeping tom and it's down right sick and disgusting.

John Smith 10.05.2014 04:01

there is no short of stupidity in this world it seems.