Americans abroad rejecting US citizenship as tax hikes loom

10.08.2013 03:55

The number of Americans who decided to renounce their citizenship in the second quarter of 2013 increased sixfold the same period in 2012, a number the federal government attributes to strict impending financial disclosure rules.

Comments (35) Sort by: Highest rating Oldest first Newest first

Anex Rinenlo 12.08.2013 12:07

If you made good money in US, why shouldn't you give back some?

Mark 12.08.2013 09:55

We moved to Europe over little a year ago because my wife and I had lost our jobs. We love it here but miss our beloved country. I'd like to mention while speeding on the autobahn got pulled over by police and I am still amazed how friendly and courteous the officer where.

Christina Collins 12.08.2013 06:07

I'm an American citizen, and I too am planning on leaving when I get the chance. I hate that we are seen in the way, from reading these comment, the light we are seen in around the world. We're waking up, slowly it's happening, just maybe not fast enough to save us. Many of us see the damage we are doing to ourselves, and to the world, I for one am trying to figure out how to make a major impact on the world in a good way, and I'm sure if everyone that felt that way joined and said enough is enough, we could bring true change to our once great country.

est ockert 12.08.2013 03:51

Codename Taco 11.08.2013 15:06

The US citizen doesn't get much for their tax dollars. You pay for an ever-encroaching police state. You pay for... From immigrants to expats, the american story.

wow most perfect statement Codename Taco; it's more about these things than "taxes"; although US tax is another story=> America: Freedom to Fascism will explain that one for the unknowing.

Zeitgeist films are a good start.
Yohan Galtung tells it well.

Edwin Vazquez 12.08.2013 03:24

The American dream is over...

Anglo Adonah 12.08.2013 02:47

What exactly do American citizens get for the taxes they pay, even back at home? They don't have free healthcare, no welfare state, no social housing etc. Even traveling on a US passport is dangerous as America is the most despised state in the World. US passport is a burden and anyone with a clear mind will dump it at an earliest convenience.

Okolocos 12.08.2013 00:22

OSU & Roxy Chick...who are you kidding, the american people haven't elected a president since JFK. The 1% aka Big business and the banks decide who becomes president!

OSU 12.08.2013 00:00

Would you really care to live in a country whose citizens are dumb enough to re-elect Obama?

Roxy Chick 11.08.2013 23:30

Who would want to live in usa with obamarama in charge?????

Dan 11.08.2013 19:26

It's not just the taxes that are a problem. As others have said the US policy is an issue. Most importantly the lack of jobs is a huge problem.

Frank 11.08.2013 16:17

And I thought everyone was dying to become American citizens. Well, I did hear it on Fox News, you know, that bastion of truth.

Gnollrunner 11.08.2013 15:58

I just moved to Russia and if I ever manage to fulfill all the requirements for Russian Citizenship I'm going to dump my US citizenship pronto.

Steve 11.08.2013 15:14

I'm currently a British born American citizen - I have recently retired an am looking to leave the US. I am in contact with the British Embassy in L.A. and seeking a passport.
Invest igating Central America - my brother is there now checking it out!

Codename Taco 11.08.2013 15:06

The US citizen doesn't get much for their tax dollars. You pay for an ever-encroaching police state. You pay for social services that act as petri dishes for dysfunctional behavior. You pay for wars that help the corporatists, but not you. You pay for cultural balkanization so that when you look at the society around you, you see nothing you like, and you definitely don't see you and your values reflected. If you find a place you feel more comfortable, be that socially, spiritually, intellectually, or economically, why shouldn't you relocate and renounce? From immigrants to expats, the american story.

Otm Schank 11.08.2013 14:39

Anglo Saxon Citizens leaving,Mexicans flooding the country-it's a good balance.Ha..