North Carolina police shoot dead unarmed car crash victim

15.09.2013 18:34

An African-American man in distress sought help from nearby police, who fatally shot him, thinking he was a threat. The victim's attorney believes his death could have been avoided had the color of his skin been different.

Comments (79) Sort by: Highest rating Oldest first Newest first

Genitcally Mod Ified 23.11.2013 14:01

The cop looks very angry indeed!

Genitcally Mod Ified 23.11.2013 13:59

I don't believe for one second that the victim charged at the police, that is they're excuse to limit the blame on themselves for the lack of understanding of the situation which led them to draw they're weapons and kill an accident victim, imagine there was a critically injured passenger left in the car, he was obviously running towards them for help but paranoid racist trigger happy young fools are to stupid to see this!!

The Man 05.10.2013 05:08

We desperately need a dedicated consolidated website that keeps these police abuse incidents in permanent public record and gives us a searchable forum to discuss way to stop the militarization of police. Our arms industry is so greedy they lobby to flood our streets with weapons of war to be used against us instead of for protection. Instead of firefighting aircraft and heavy equipment, we get tanks and armored vehicles to destroy our property. Instead of public safety uniforms we get our police dressed as SS Storm troopers or gestapo agents. Instead of guarding our borders, we get drones over the entire USA. etc.etc

Montel Paige 22.09.2013 14:51

I do not know what is sadder. The fact that this happened or the fact I just heard about this incident in passing and had to google it. :(

Jimmy Curry 17.09.2013 12:54

Those interested in positive change, join my mentor, Hotep Kenyatta, on Facebook. A better world is possible, and police brutality is a sign that a nation needs to change...

Jimmy Curry 17.09.2013 12:53

Sadly some groups are always at the bottom and victimized. In imperial regions, this group is often those that are darker skinned. Why? Because they are easier to identify, and thus control. Humanity must move away from imperialism, racism, sexism and come together. In America, while there are some very positive attritubes to American system, the discrimination and harassment/murder of blacks and other oppressed groups has not gone away and won't until more Americans get involved in ending it ! Our world, globally, needs a total change/transformatio n ..

Andrea Hines 16.09.2013 20:33

Thanks, nice talking to you too, take care.

Levett Prins 16.09.2013 20:20

I have to go now. Thanks for exchanging views with you. Take care Andrea and hope your country improves soon ... especially economy!

Levett Prins 16.09.2013 20:15

SA had a flourishing capitalist economy and different cultures had their own homelands. There are many dispensations of freedom. The US ideas of so called democracy is based on hippy ideas ie everyone is the same, people can decide for themselves what's right &wrong etc. It's lies and do not work anywhere in the world. But you do have some good folk that I feel sorry for.

Andrea Hines 16.09.2013 20:02

But you may not have made it is what I'm saying. It's a good thing you found the help you did. You might have bled out by then. I apologize of behalf of the US running around bullying everyone. our capitalist culture doesn't work here, so many people unemployed, living on the streets, unkind, causing crimes to go up to feed their families. People idolizing stuff they don't need because of commercials so they steal that too. Bunch of brain washed sheep over here letting it happen to us. Yes I do apologize for our ways, if it was so great we wouldn't have to force it at the barrel of a gun.

Andrea Hines 16.09.2013 19:57

You keep saying charging, how do you know he was charging? No I'm not naive, I would have treated him with suspicion, yes I would treat anyone who knocked on my door with suspicion. Doesn't mean I would have called the cops and tell them who knows what. I would like to hear the 911 call to know further what happened. As an officer of the law if they are trained to just kill everyone instead of ask questions or shoot to injure first then I would like to know more about this training. As children they teach you in school to look for authority figures for help, the older I've gotten the more I see that just isn't the cas

Levett Prins 16.09.2013 19:56

Oh and thanks for your concern but yes I would have found other help or walked to the hospital even if it would have taken a few hours. But those were days where race, social status etc did not make a difference. Now I live in a society created by the US ... so called democracy. And it's sick to the bone. It's the same society the US want to enforce in Syria ... using the same propaganda as with SA 20 years ago. Thank you US for messing up the world!

Levett Prins 16.09.2013 19:47

Sorry to say but you sound very naive. Im from South Africa and you have the slightest idea of what is happening in our country you will also treat ANYONE with suspicion. This guy apparently was in a car accident but he could run around knocking on doors, charging the police ... clearly he was not badly injured as you assume.

Andrea Hines 16.09.2013 19:38

You're right the cops kill the innocent everyday, a man who had just been injured with no weapons seems pretty innocent to me.

Andrea Hines 16.09.2013 19:33

Well I'm sorry to hear about your car wreck, I truly am. Think about this though, do you think you would have been okay had the farmer not helped you to the hospital? I'm not saying I would have answered my door either, I can't say. I used to live in a bad neighborhood and some night I would answer, some nights I would show my taser gun at the window, yell go away and not even look outside. But I would have at least listened to the person outside the door and had she of heard he was in an accident, maybe she could have called 911 for him to have EMT come out. All I'm saying is the cop wasn't innocent, he killed someon

Levett Prins 16.09.2013 19:23

I once was in a serious car accident on a remote road and pretty badly injured & bleeding. But walked about 3miles to a farmhouse where I asked for help. The farmer took me to hospital. That was about 25years ago. Now we live in a mad world where car accident victims get robbed and raped, cops kill & assult the innocent, terrorists like Nelson Mandela become presidents etc. It's a crazy!

MyShowtime33 16.09.2013 19:11

Can they prove that tazer came before the shooting?

Andrea Hines 16.09.2013 19:05

Also I'm sorry but what you said also didn't make sense. Run to the nearest hospital??? Most people wouldn't be able to run all the way to the hospital, especially after being in a severe car wreck. That made no sense at all whatsoever to me. Unless there just so happened to be a hospital on the next few blocks, but still doesn't make any sense, ask for help.

Andrea Hines 16.09.2013 19:02

I guess you're right, my thoughts are on humanity and compassion. Not facts that could easily be altered just to save someone's butt. If he was truly running towards them, they truly did taser him and he was still just a charging exactly like they said. They couldn't tell he was injured, maybe just maybe thought he had a weapon, then why not fire a shot to injure instead of fatal shots to kill. The department doesn't even agree with what happened as of now, so you're right lets see what the department sorts out. I may get a little heated and rant but that's only because to me human life is not so irrelevant.