Sorry for letting them snoop? Dell apologizes for ‘inconvenience’ caused by NSA backdoor

31.12.2013 15:30

Security researcher Jacob Appelbaum dropped a bombshell of sorts earlier this week when he accused American tech companies of placing government-friendly backdoors in their devices. Now Texas-based Dell Computers is offering an apology.

Comments (39) Sort by: Highest rating Oldest first Newest first

jg 22.03.2014 19:39

Imagine implication of this revelation. Let's say that some NSA "top secret" clearence employee sells the info "how to" cleanly hack any high tech company network (using compromised server hardware) to whomever.. chinese, russian, local .. competitors. Don't you think that it's not happening? Since the know how is "top secret" and known to bunch of people.. it's a goldmine for (non gov.) industrial espinage..

Robert Kavanaugh 18.03.2014 23:58

It's a boon for the hardware manufacturing firms and the telecommunications firms. If only we made any of those things in this country anymore, it might even help the middle-class.

Robert Kavanaugh 18.03.2014 23:56

I think a lot of the comments here come from people who think a good deal more about their own importance than the NSA or US government does. While the issue should be a subject of public concern and debate, and while I think Mr. Snowden is an American hero, I don't think the government gives two hoots about me or anyone I know. And I don't think I'm any different than nearly anyone else. (Except for Diane Feinstein perhaps.) In the end, if the U.S. Government wants to spend billions of dollars so that a NSA employee wants to have the capacity to watch one guy watch p_o_r_n, then who am I to object.

mergon 17.03.2014 14:16

OH we are so sorry,oh yea now we know that you sold a back door to the NSA .
and how does that work the ? well the NSA sends a bloke round and he says give us a back door and we will give you a deal on your tax bill !

Now times this by every comms company in the world let alone the states and you can then get an understanding as to why America is broke ,they have invested so much in spying equipment that there is no money left to run the country so they just keep printing and borrowing ,
when that gets so big , they will have to invade other counties just to get resources .
oh they already started that one !

Gemini 16.03.2014 15:17

Many times it happens that when you are connected to the net, some softwares will automatically get installed on your computer without your knowledge. This obviously demonstrates how the PCs are being invaded by the intelligence agencies! It would be much better if we avoid American branded hardwares!

1010011010 12.03.2014 20:31

Neter 07.01.2014 17:46

I was seriously considering to buy a computer from an American company.
Not anymore...

Btw. does Windows have a NSA backdoor too?

I would be surprised if it didn't.

Lin ux, here I come!

I've heard NSA pushes exploits via Windows Update. Linux may not be entirely secure either, as they've been known to sneak exploits into the code.

Barry Rees 21.01.2014 01:53

Grrrr

Neter 07.01.2014 17:46

I was seriously considering to buy a computer from an American company.
Not anymore...

Btw. does Windows have a NSA backdoor too?

I would be surprised if it didn't.

Lin ux, here I come!

mergon 07.01.2014 11:43

I comment on governments and systems ,this is my 3rd computer ,not counting the hard drives iv had to replace
If you have a computer and or phone you have to take it as read that they are spying on you ,prior to commenting on government and some systems my first computer lasted 5 years with no problems .
While we on it ever tried to get Norton /Symantec out of a computer ? there is good reason for that !
THis unit runs on bare bones = no permissions allowed for anything at all ,just bare essentials and proxy !

Mike Littlefield 03.01.2014 18:08

Repentance is incomplete without reparation. One would be justified in dismissing a mere apology as a marketing ploy.

Okasa Misa 02.01.2014 18:35

just talk about Dell ..and Hp as well all theirs product get
chip for nsa in ready..I think we have to boycott their
product is better..but Apple too..time is to went bad every where.....

Fredric L. Rice 02.01.2014 16:54

So collaborating with fascist traitors against our country is an "inconvenience. "

Jean Maida Dunn 02.01.2014 05:51

Yea NSA has done nothing but make my life a nightmare.They have ruined my computer.My Keyboard is locked down and I have tried everything to fix it.They have taken things out of my e-mails and activity log.I want a New Computer from Dell.I had to buy a keyboard and plug it in to one of the USB connectors.What a pain,it's a lap top.NSA are a bunch of misfits looking for something in life so they can be important. Get lost you Pests. Apology not accepted until I get a New Lap Top- NSA.Yea right.

Frank Mc Carthy 01.01.2014 23:56

Dell are all apart of this Occult Spying New World Order agenda just like Apple and Google. The "E" in the Dell logo is offset by 33 degree....

Wayne Lambright 01.01.2014 21:26

Has it been leaked yet that Microsoft gave a back door to the NSA.

Michel de Geofroy 01.01.2014 20:37

Now I understand why the Russian is buying typewriters !

Joe Jepsen 01.01.2014 16:50

The US Government putting BUGS in computers since September 9 1945...

Lincoln DeCoursey 01.01.2014 16:22

Customer service people are commonly trained to open with an apology before the customer's stated concern is even sanity checked. Yes it may not be technically correct to apologize blindly in this way, nevertheless it's a known customer-facing technique and is commonly implemented in call flow for a reason.

No reasonable person would zero in on some "regret the inconvenience" opening from a customer service representative in response to Twitter trolling as a meaningful comment from the company.

Darr247 01.01.2014 14:20

Warmonger 01.01.2014 03:09

Motherboards of my two dell tabletop computers just melted down two years ago. They have since replaced with different parts from different manufactures, and glad that NSA chips were in the trash long ago, but how do you if my laptop and tabletop Mac computers are safe? How can I tell? Anyone?

Did you even read the article? The backdoor wasn't in Dell personal computers... it was in the Basic Input/Output System of the Redundant Array of Independent Disks in Dell SERVERS. So you never had any NSA chips in your computers, liar.