Appeals court upholds inmate's right to have taxpayer-funded sex change surgery

17.01.2014 22:33

For the first time in US history, federal judges in the US state of Massachusetts have upheld a court ruling entitling a tax-payer funded sex-change operation for a transsexual prisoner convicted of murder.

Comments (15) Sort by: Highest rating Oldest first Newest first

Irritable Farmer 20.01.2014 16:12

Just when you thought you heard it all.

When it comes to other people's money the State knows no bounds.

Joshua 20.01.2014 14:50

Harold giddings 19.01.2014 21:17

A lot of ingorance here about gender... -_-
Anyway my only issue with it is that someone trying to get such surgery in the US has to pay for it out of pocket, insurance won't even cover it..

So why should taxpayers front the bill for a muderer?

It does not matter what he 'did'. Why should any man pocket out to pay for another man's 'Want'? If you want something that is not a need, you should pay for it, not your friends.

Harold giddings 19.01.2014 21:17

A lot of ingorance here about gender... -_-

So why should taxpayers front the bill for a muderer?

Gary Snyder 19.01.2014 05:23

If sex-change operations are available to inmates I assume this opens pandora's box. (pun? your choice).

Joshua 19.01.2014 03:00

Mason Alexander Shihab 18.01.2014 17:31

The pronouns should be male. Gender is in the DNA.

Gender is in the Flesh's Dna. True. But you nor female or Male at creation, as the choice is eventually decided during chemical reaction. But tell me, are you "you", or is your Flesh "you" ?

Joshua 19.01.2014 02:57

اشلي ash 18.01.2014 15:40

Taxpayer money has went to worse. This wasn't a cosmetic surgery, if she feels incorrectly in her body she has the right to modify it accordingly. Just because she killed someone doesn't justify further suffering.

I can understand. I also agree that if an Entity desires something, let it desire it and have the right to desire it. But should you pay for my wants?

You pay labor for your own wants ans desires. Perhaps I may lend a hand, but out of the kindness of my heart because I love you. It should not be forced out of me as I am not your slave.

Mason Alexander Shihab 18.01.2014 17:31

The pronouns should be male. Gender is in the DNA.

اشلي ash 18.01.2014 15:40

Joshua 18.01.2014 13:45

I see no health problem or emergency here.

This seems to be a personal desire. Tax payers should not be paying for this. This should come out of his/her own savings, not the people's.

Mike Littlefield 18.01.2014 06:31

Personally, I would disagree; but since I know how much this will irk mccain and the other neo-cons, especially in the case of Chelsea Manning, I will say Hooray! (That's ypa in Russian).

Mark Calvin 18.01.2014 04:37

They should quit catering to its perverted fetish. It doesn't have a right to have the state pay for di-- -lopping surgery. If it ever gets out of prison it can pay for it's own sick body modification garbage.

paradigm-respawn 18.01.2014 03:35

I just wonder what is the Point of Life without Mr Happy around?

Amanda Blake 18.01.2014 03:01

Sooo, let me get this straight: you can take someone's life by murder, and still have the right to a non-lifethreatening surgery?

I give up on America, but due to our s#!t-flinging politicians and our very own arrogance, nowhere else in the world would have me. Time to go off the grid.

BIG-ONE5 18.01.2014 02:38

Since then the states had gone hundreds ,thousands of times to courts, legislations, to stop inmates from being able to access courts. Unsuccesful. Jails have law libraries that rival state and federal libraries. many learn law like lawyers.
And since then, there had NOT been a day where law suits been won by inmates. Governors hate it, jailers too.
But it shaped how jails are run in U.S.

BIG-ONE5 18.01.2014 02:35

HAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!
Now I will tell a tale of fates.
THIS must be making R. NIXON, very happy. If those ghost stories, or gods and heavens tales are true, he must be dying of laughter.
Why?
1970's, Attica New York, Maximum security state prison, went into a riot. There was a seige. Now then President Richard Nixon, asked the governor and/or warden, (don't recall which) to hold things until he could deal with the issue. Well, one of them said, #$%^& the W.H, this is my turf... and called in the National Guard. Ok, all was taken back. many died. Nixon was mad. As revenge he allowed prisoners rights to courts. LOL