Keep up with the news by installing RT’s extension for . Never miss a story with this clean and simple app that delivers the latest headlines to you.

 

Ukraine brings back conscription amid unrest in country's east

Published time: May 02, 2014 00:15
RIA Novosti / Mikhail Voskresenskiy

RIA Novosti / Mikhail Voskresenskiy

Ukraine's acting President Aleksandr Turchinov has announced he is reinstating a military draft to help deal with the “deteriorating” situation in the country's east and south.

The draft will call on all males between 18 and 25 years of age, who are not eligible for an exemption.

Turchinov's office said in a statement on Thursday that the decision was made "given the deteriorating situation in the east and the south...the rising force of armed pro-Russian units and the taking of public administration buildings...which threaten territorial integrity.”

The military draft will be carried out in May-July, but no details were given as to where the new conscripts will be deployed.

Last year, Ukraine announced plans to stop the draft in 2014 and begin the transfer to a professional army. However, Turchinov said he decided to change the existing law due to “threats of encroachment on Ukraine’s territorial integrity.”

On Wednesday, Turchinov said the government in Kiev cannot control the situation in the east of the country and that Ukraine’s army is on full alert due to the “threat of a Russian invasion.”

“I am going back to the real threat that Russia would unleash a continental war against Ukraine. Our armed forces have been put on full alert,” Turchinov told a council of Ukrainian regional heads in Kiev on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, May Day celebrations in Donetsk, eastern Ukraine turned violent as pro-autonomy activists seized the local prosecutor’s office. Police responded with tear gas and stun grenades but later relinquished their weapons.

The storming of the Donetsk Region Prosecutor’s Office began when several dozen shield-holding protesters pelted rocks and petrol bombs at the building while chanting, “Fascists!” as they tried to break in.

Twenty-six people sustained injuries, including gunshot wounds, as a result of the storm and clashes, RIA Novosti reported, citing Donetsk officials. Two of them were hospitalized. The Interior Ministry said that one National Guard soldier was wounded.

Comments (162)

 

Tom 06.05.2014 06:39

I believe in the draft

 

Elsa 03.05.2014 03:39

Turchinov is delusional.

 

giovannino Michael 02.05.2014 19:10

All this has been widely expected. After decades during which US regime had sneaked into the Ukr society in the usual usurocratic and cleptocratic attempt to size and steal all possible, the local 'operetta' nationalists are armed and quite trained in order to totally disrupt their country. 'The Fish always stinks from the Head'. Ask US regime (and EU colonies) why.

View all comments (162)
Add comment

Authorization required for adding comments

Register or

Name

Password

Show password

Register

or Register

Request a new password

Send

or Register

To complete a registration check
your Email:

OK

or Register

A password has been sent to your email address

Edit profile

X

Name

New password

Retype new password

Current password

Save

Cancel

Follow us

Follow us