Keep up with the news by installing RT’s extension for . Never miss a story with this clean and simple app that delivers the latest headlines to you.

 

More women, children killed in 2013 in Afghanistan - UN

Published time: July 31, 2013 13:02
An Afghan boy cries during a funeral of members of his family in Logar province, March 27, 2013.(Reuters / Stringer)

An Afghan boy cries during a funeral of members of his family in Logar province, March 27, 2013.(Reuters / Stringer)

Total civilian casualties in Afghanistan have jumped by 23 percent, with the number of children killed rising by nearly a third. The surge in violence comes as Afghan security forces take over responsibility for the country’s security from NATO forces.

In its latest 78-page Mid-Year Report on the Protection of Civilians in Armed Conflict UN said that 1,319 civilian were killed, including women and children, and 2,533 injured,with total casualties standing at 3,852 from January 2013 to June 2013. 

This marks a “a 14 percent increase in deaths, 28 percent increase in injuries and 23 percent increase in total civilian casualties compared to the same period in 2012.”

Image from unmissions.org

The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) further documented a “23 percent increase in total civilian casualties compared to the same period in 2012.”

UNAMA reported that 74 percent of civilian deaths and injuries were caused by “Anti-Government Elements”, 9 percent by “Pro-Government Forces” and 12 percent by “ground engagements between Pro-Government Forces and Anti-Government Elements”. The other four percent of civilian casualties “were unattributed caused mainly by explosive remnants of war”, according to the report. 

The biggest threat in Afghanistan remains improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which killed 53 percent more civilians than last year, the majority being children.

The second biggest killer was the fighting between security forces and insurgents, with both sides sharing responsibility for the bloodshed. 

Image from unmissions.org

Insurgents killed three-quarters of civilians, who are often targeted for cooperating with the government.

Afghan local police are said to have killed 60 percent more civilians in 2013 than last year, with members of the security force accused of murder, rape and torture.

The report also noted a rise in clashes between unaligned armed groups, which helped the Taliban take control in Afghanistan in the 1990s, the report said.

Insurgents intensify attacks as foreign troops depart

The UN confirmed that insurgents have intensified their attacks in Afghanistan, especially around the closed international bases. And the sharp rise in civilian deaths has raised concerns about the Afghan military’s ability to fight off the insurgents as foreign troops withdraw from the country.

The Afghan army is known to have one of the world’s highest desertion rates and a lack of logistical and medical support.

Children run away after an explosion in Kabul.(Reuters / Omar Sobhani)

The Report also noted that the US army opened up an investigation into allegations of war crimes in the Wardak province in Afghanistan between November and February. Witnesses told UNAMA that US soldiers and Afghan interpreters were seen at multiple crime scenes. 

A NATO spokeswoman revealed on Tuesday that the army has launched an investigation into allegations of the abduction and killing of Afghan civilians, claims Washington had previously denied. 

The investigation was started after an Afghan interpreter accused US soldiers he had previously been attached to.

The Afghan translator Zakeria Kandahari, who says he worked for US Special Forces over the past nine years, was detained on suspicion of torturing and murdering civilians. He has accused US Special Forces of being behind the atrocities, but denied personal responsibility.

Police claimed Kandahari took part in the torture and murder of Afghan civilians in Wardak Province. At least nine corpses have been recovered in the region, one belonging to Sayid Mohammed, a local resident who was last seen being taken into US custody and whose body was found mutilated and footless. Mohammed’s corpse was found in close proximity to the Nerk Special Forces base in May.

The US is wrapping up its Afghan campaign this year. After the planned pullout of troops is completed by 2014, only a limited military contingent not directly engaged in combat is expected to stay. Afghan security forces are then to completely take over responsibility for security in the insurgency-ravaged country.

Comments (6)

 

Daniel Amer 05.09.2013 02:51

I am with you Trevor Winnett. As i am a Pashtun living near Afghanistan.

 

di is in los angeles 02.08.2013 18:06

Leon Davis 31.07.2013 23:45

"the trillions of dollars wasted."

  


Th ere are some people who might smugly beg to differ with the term "wasted". The for-profit wars are just the delivery mechanism to transfer the trillions from the public to the private sector. Follow the "wasted" money. It's in the bank accounts of people with names and addresses.

And the all-purpose excuse for this? 9/11. Investigate it.

 

Trevor Winnett 01.08.2013 16:48

That is all the U.S.A are good for is killing woman and children, every thing they touch they ruin. They are like a cancer, one more thing, they have never won a war, LOL even between their selves !! God look back on their history ( the fastest gun in the west ) makes one laugh. They make a mess of every thing.

View all comments (6)
Add comment

Authorization required for adding comments

Register or

Name

Password

Show password

Register

or Register

Request a new password

Send

or Register

To complete a registration check
your Email:

OK

or Register

A password has been sent to your email address

Edit profile

X

Name

New password

Retype new password

Current password

Save

Cancel

Follow us

Follow us