Keep up with the news by installing RT’s extension for . Never miss a story with this clean and simple app that delivers the latest headlines to you.

 

Boston bombing suspect goes silent, parents vow to seek the truth in the US

Published time: April 25, 2013 16:02
Edited time: April 27, 2013 13:20
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (AFP Photo/Boston Regional Intelligence Center)

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (AFP Photo/Boston Regional Intelligence Center)

The surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, stopped talking to investigators when read his Miranda rights. Tsarnaev’s parents met US diplomats in Russia, and his father plans to go to the US to “find out the truth."

The 19-year-old Tsarnaev, who is recovering in a Boston hospital from a gunshot wound, was questioned by police for 16 hours before he went silent after a magistrate judge and a representative from the US Attorney's office read him his constitutional rights, AP reported, citing two anonymous officials.

Prior to being advised of his rights, he admitted his role in the attacks to the FBI. Unable to talk because of the wound to his neck, Tsranaev began responding to investigators' questions in writing and nods Sunday evening.

He told authorities that he and his older brother Tamerlan, 26, were the perpetrators of the bombings that killed three people and injured over 200. He said his brother had only recently recruited him to be a part of the attack, and that they were motivated by the US wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and the killing of Muslims there, according to US officials briefed on the initial interrogation.  

Tamerlan Tsarnaev was reportedly on the US government’s database of people it believes to be terrorists.

As law enforcement attempts to piece together the circumstances, motives and details of the attack, none of what Dzhokhar Tsarnaev told the FBI before being read his Miranda rights can be used against him in court.

Dzhokhar's public defender refused to comment on the matter on Wednesday. His parents, Anzor and Zubeidat Tsarnaev, both maintained that their sons are innocent, with the father calling Dzhokhar a "true angel."

Anzor Tsarnaev (L) and Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, parents of Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev - the two men suspected of carrying out the Boston bombings, take part in a news conference in Makhachkala April 25, 2013. (Reuters)

‘The US took my son’

Anzor and Zubeidat Tsarnaev are expected to come to the United States to “find out the truth" behind their sons’ alleged involvement in a terror attack.

On Wednesday, they met with diplomats from the US Embassy in Moscow in the Dagestani capital Makhachkala. Zubeidat claimed they both spoke to FBI representatives, though her statement has not been confirmed.

After the meeting, Anzor said at a press conference in Makhachkala on Thursday he would travel from Russia to the US to bury Tamerlan. "I am going to the United States. I want to say that I am going there to see my son, to bury the older one. I don't have any bad intentions. I don't plan to blow up anything,” he said, adding, "I am not angry at anyone. I want to go find out the truth."

Speaking at the press conference, Zubeidat blamed the US for killing her son. 

"He was alive! Why did they need to kill him? Why? They got him alive," she said.

The mother said she wished her sons had never moved to the US, and if she goes there she will consider renouncing her US passport.

"Why did I ever go there? Why? I thought that America will protect us and our kids, it will be safe," she said. "But America took my kids away from me. Why would I not regret?"

Zubeidat Tsarnaev said she has not yet decided whether she will go to the US; she is reportedly facing arrest if she enters the country. The clerk of the Natick District Court earlier confirmed to ABC News that Zubeidat failed to appear at a court hearing last year to resolve charges that she stole $1,600 worth of merchandise from a Lord & Taylor department store.

As the conference ended, she pleaded with journalists for privacy: “I am tired. I feel bad. We’ve just answered all your questions. We ask you to leave us alone.”

Comments (77)

Anonymous user 09.07.2013 13:24

Zubeidat Tsarnaev loves the Suicide Bomber look and Anzor Tsarnaev acts like a cop from Reno 911

Anonymous user 28.04.2013 14:10

is that it? an alleged theft from a lord and taylor store....wot a pathetic hollywood lie....

Anonymous user 28.04.2013 08:03

He did it what remains to be seen is the US's goverments roll in it.

View all comments (77)
Add comment

Authorization required for adding comments

Register or

Name

Password

Show password

Register

or Register

Request a new password

Send

or Register

To complete a registration check
your Email:

OK

or Register

A password has been sent to your email address

Edit profile

X

Name

New password

Retype new password

Current password

Save

Cancel

Follow us

Follow us