Keep up with the news by installing RT’s extension for . Never miss a story with this clean and simple app that delivers the latest headlines to you.

 

Mediaworks pulls plug on Kim Dotcom’s Mega ad campaign

Published time: January 16, 2013 19:44
Edited time: January 16, 2013 23:44
Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom (AFP Photo/Michael Bradley)

Megaupload boss Kim Dotcom (AFP Photo/Michael Bradley)

Mediaworks, a New Zealand media company, has cancelled an ad campaign for Kim Dotcom’s new business Mega, a file-locker service. The enfant terrible of web media still faces extradition to the US for breaking copyright laws.

Mediaworks, a New Zealand based television, radio and interactive media company has said that it has cancelled an advertising campaign for Kim Dotcom’s new business, Mega.

Mega says it will be capable of transferring confidential information securely, which previously has required the installation of dedicated software. .

Mega launches on Sunday January 20th at Kim Dotcom’s Coatesville mansion in New Zealand.

The advertisements were expected to run on Mediaworks’ the Edge radio and other stations from Wednesday.

Dotcom tweeted Wednesday that Mediaworks had pulled the plug on the radio ad campaign, which had been booked prior to Mega’s launch:

Dotcom added that he was “Not blaming Mediaworks. They are a great company with great people. It’s the music labels that are abusing their power, again.”

Dotcom has appealed to other radio stations to play the ad campaign instead.

Media works confirmed they had canceled the ad but didn’t say why.

“When it comes to details of relationships with all our clients, including Mr. Dotcom, we keep those arrangements pretty confidential”, said a Mediaworks spokeswoman. Although she did say that cancelling an ad campaign was a “unique situation” for Mediaworks.

Despite a series of legal victories against prosecutors, Dotcom still faces an extradition hearing next year amid allegations that he should be made to face trial in the US over charges his wealth has been obtained by widespread copyright infringement.

Dotcom and his co-accused, Finn Batata, Mathias Ortman and Bram Van der Kolk, deny the charges.

“If I win my case and Mega becomes a powerful business that creates thousands of jobs, I get involved in startups and contribute to the economy – then I want to be New Zealander of the year,” The German National previously told the Weekend Herald, with regards to his new business Mega.