Keep up with the news by installing RT’s extension for . Never miss a story with this clean and simple app that delivers the latest headlines to you.

 

We were subjected to 'meticulous, daily torture' – freed Gitmo detainee

Published time: December 20, 2013 13:54
Reuters / Brennan Linsley / Pool

Reuters / Brennan Linsley / Pool

After years of being held at the US Naval Base in Cuba without trial, Ibrahim Idris, one of two Sudanese detainees released on Thursday, said US prison officials had "systematically tortured" him in the course of his 11-year imprisonment at Gitmo.

Idris, who has been described by US officials as mentally ill, delivered his comments in a news conference in Khartoum, just hours after returning home courtesy of a US military plane.

Appearing weak and speaking with apparent difficultly, Idris gave a brief account of his lengthy imprisonment at Gitmo.

“We have been subjected to meticulous, daily torture," he said. "We were helpless…on an isolated island, surrounded by weapons."

He praised the Sudanese government and human rights organizations for working to secure the release of prisoners at Gitmo, which has been called “the GULAG of our times” by Amnesty International. Closed-door military tribunals, for example, have been riddled with problems, including courtroom speakers that have a mysterious tendency for being blocked during key testimony.

Another released detainee, Noor Othman Muhammed, was unable to attend the conference because he was recovering in the hospital, Idris said.

On Feb. 18, 2011, Muhammed pleaded guilty in a military tribunal to offenses under the Military Commissions Act of 2009, and was sentenced to 14 years confinement, according to a Defense Department news release. In exchange for his guilty plea and Muhammed's cooperation with prosecutors, the military court agreed through a pre-trial agreement to suspend all confinement in excess of 34 months.

Idris, who had been designated for transfer since 2009, said some of the former prisoners had pled guilty in a bid to secure their freedom.

As Barack Obama wins congressional approval to transfer some prisoners from Guantanamo Bay to their home countries, a released Sudanese inmate spoke of the torture he and others endured at the hands of their American jailers. Approval for a partial detainee release is contained in the National Defense Authorization Act, which passed the Senate by an 84-15 vote on Thursday night.

"While the bill does not address all of the administration's concerns, its provisions ... will provide the administration additional flexibility to transfer detainees abroad consistent with our national security interests," White House spokesman Jay Carney said earlier Thursday.

Of those still held in the prison, five individuals stand accused of participating in the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. At the same time, some four dozen detainees are considered “too dangerous” to be released.

About half of Gitmo's 158 detainees have been cleared to be released since 2009, yet congressional restrictions prevented that from happening.

‘Special’ treatment for hunger strikers

A new outbreak of hunger strikes happened in early 2013. By July, 106 of the 166 detainees were on hunger strike, with 45 of them being force-fed.

According to Idris, those inmates who participated in these protests were “doubly tortured.”

In November, a 19-member task force concluded in a 269-page report, entitled 'Ethics Abandoned: Medical Professionalism and Detainee Abuse in the ‘War on Terror', that since September 11, 2001, the Department of Defense (DoD) and CIA ordered medical professionals to assist in intelligence gathering, as well as forced-feeding of hunger strikers, in a way that inflicted “severe harm.”

Gitmo officials announced earlier this month that the US military will no longer disclose to the media and public whether prisoners at Guantanamo Bay are on hunger strike, explaining that "the release of this information serves no operational purpose."

This decision has deprived detainees of an effective means of protesting the conditions of their detention.

As Obama moves to release more detainees, he can expect strong opposition from many Republican lawmakers, including not least of all former Vice President Dick Cheney, who has argued strongly that Guantanamo should be kept open.

Comments (38)

 

tommy27 22.12.2013 14:56

I thought Mr. Obama was going to shut down Gitmo. This is not right to hold and torture people without some sort of a reasonable trial. What an expensive and un American thing to do.

 

george 22.12.2013 10:41

[quote name='Artful Dodger' time='21.12.2013 09:12']

Who will put these monsters on trial? They do not recognise international courts.

Yes you right! Nuremberg as well as IMTFE (Tokyo Trial)
is only possible, if the USA will loose a war.
Nuremberg was just a farce with political background. H.Truman was not sitting on the dock BTW there was 4 nations who sent there prosecutors and judges.
Wars and barbarism against humanity run like a red line through the human history. Think, as long in every Country are 70 (up)%, ignorants as long we will suffer under dictatorships in different colors


 

flip benzoni 22.12.2013 10:12

"Gitmo officials announced earlier this month that the US military will no longer disclose to the media and public whether prisoners at Guantanamo Bay are on hunger strike, explaining that "the release of this information serves no operational purpose."

Oh you vile, despicable of the earth, remind us again, what "operational purposes" serve Gitmo?

View all comments (38)
Add comment

Authorization required for adding comments

Register or

Name

Password

Show password

Register

or Register

Request a new password

Send

or Register

To complete a registration check
your Email:

OK

or Register

A password has been sent to your email address

Edit profile

X

Name

New password

Retype new password

Current password

Save

Cancel

Follow us