Keep up with the news by installing RT’s extension for . Never miss a story with this clean and simple app that delivers the latest headlines to you.

 

Libyan air force attacks targets in south after gunmen storm airbase

Published time: January 18, 2014 19:48
Edited time: January 18, 2014 21:11
ARCHIVE PHOTO: A Libyan fighter jet flies over the eastern city of Benghazi during a military parade to celebrate the second anniversary of NATO's first military operation in Libya on March 19, 2013. (AFP Photo / Abdullah Doma)

ARCHIVE PHOTO: A Libyan fighter jet flies over the eastern city of Benghazi during a military parade to celebrate the second anniversary of NATO's first military operation in Libya on March 19, 2013. (AFP Photo / Abdullah Doma)

Libya has launched air strikes against militants in the south of the country in an attempt to end the armed clashes. Libyan Defense Ministry blamed forces loyal to ousted leader Muammar Gaddafi for sparking the unrest.

"A force was readied, then aircraft moved and took off and dealt with the targets," Defense Ministry spokesman Abdul-Raziq Shabahi told reporters in Tripoli as quoted by Reuters.

The Libyan government put the troops on alert after gunmen stormed an air force base near the southern city of Sabha, 770 kilometers south of the capital Tripoli. The assailants also stormed at least two military bases in the city, an unnamed military official said according to the AP. After attackers entered the air force base, Libyan Prime Minister Ali Zeidan said the government was still in control of the town and its civilian airport, according to Reuters.

Earlier in the day, Libya's General National Congress declared a state of emergency during an "extraordinary session" about the situation in the southern town of Sabha, following violence in the region that has been raging for days, AFP reports. Since the clashes started a week ago, at least 31 people have been killed in the fighting between the Arab Awled Sleiman tribe and Toubou minority tribesmen.

“The troops from Misrata have been commissioned by the government to conduct a national task ... to spread security and stability in the region,” Zeidan said, as quoted by Al Arabiya.

By the evening, defense ministry spokesman Abderrazak al-Shebahi said the army had recaptured the Tamenhant base, tracking the militants of the former supporters of the ousted leader Muammar Gaddafi after they fled into the desert.

"We know them and we are going to track where they are going," al-Shebahi said.

The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) called on Saturday for the “immediate end to the armed clashes” in the city of Sabha and urged all the sides to “resort to peaceful means to resolve the differences” and “restore calm.” The mission has also called for a thorough and impartial investigation of the events.

The clashes come as Tripoli struggles to contain heavily-armed militias, tribesmen and Islamists, some of whom took part in toppling Gaddafi in 2011 but have since refused to disarm.

Earlier, two Italian construction workers were also kidnapped by unknown assailants in the country’s volatile east. According to a security source quoted by Reuters, the Italians were kidnapped in the radical Islamist stronghold of Derna, east of Benghazi, where they had been working at a cement factory.

Since the deadly assault at the US consulate in September 2012, Benghazi has been rocked by a wave of assassinations of army and police officers as well as car bombings. A mix of militias and armed tribesmen has also seized the main oil export ports in eastern Libya, pressing for political autonomy and drying up the country’s crucial oil revenues.

Comments (32)

 

Stevan 26.01.2014 01:45

Free Libya is Green Jamahirya!!!!

 

Julie Rose Dayan Pasco 25.01.2014 15:25

Just hope and pray that Libya will have a Peace talk process in resolving their issues with the Pro Khadaffi and the New Libyan Government for their country and for their people. Inshallah

 

JoAnne H. Moriarty 20.01.2014 16:28

This report is completely wrong - It was put out by the false government in Libya. The South of Libya is now owned by the Libyan resistance. these are NOT militants these are Libyan Patriots who fight to take their country back from the puppet government and the Islamic extremists controlling their country - put there by NATO. 2 million Libyans in exile, 1 million homeless inside and 2 million in fear all fighting for their lives and home back. THIS IS NOT A GROUP OF MILITANTS. That lie is a feable attempt by the impotent government to mislead the world. AND they did bomb civilans, why are they condemned

View all comments (32)
Add comment

Authorization required for adding comments

Register or

Name

Password

Show password

Register

or Register

Request a new password

Send

or Register

To complete a registration check
your Email:

OK

or Register

A password has been sent to your email address

Edit profile

X

Name

New password

Retype new password

Current password

Save

Cancel

Follow us