- Most Americans are ineligible to join the military, either because they’re drug users, obese, medically unfit, failed to graduate high school, or have criminal records. The Pentagon estimates that only 25 percent of Americans are qualified.
May 17, 2013 17:54
- New research suggests a link between concussions and suicide in the US military, two frighteningly common issues that the Armed Forces have struggled to explain and curtail since rates started soaring 12 years ago.
May 17, 2013 01:40
- A suicide blast in the Afghan capital, Kabul has killed two US soldiers and four American civilian contractors, officials said. Nine Afghan civilians, including 2 children also perished in the explosion that struck a military convoy.
May 16, 2013 04:07
- A chilling tape of a Syrian rebel apparently eating the heart of a slain government soldier has prompted calls on the opposition to prevent such abuses. However the fighter has also reportedly had support from within his ranks for his “act of revenge.”
May 15, 2013 11:33
- The US military officer overseeing sexual assault prevention at the Fort Hood base in Texas is now under investigation for sexual assault, including allegations of maltreatment of subordinates and running a prostitution ring.
May 15, 2013 03:12
- The proximity of the battlefield gave rise to the ‘comfort women’ system on Japanese-occupied territories in the 1930s, according a Japanese politician. Hundreds of thousands of Chinese and Korean women were forced into sex slavery at the time.
May 14, 2013 05:18