- Two Oklahoma schools destroyed by the devastating May 20 tornado lacked “safe room” shelters that cost up to $1 million, but could have potentially saved the lives of children who died in the wreckage.
May 22, 2013 15:30
- A federal court has struck down an Arizona state ban on abortions beyond 20 weeks, signed into law last year. As is often the case with the contentious issue of abortion rights, at question was the legal definition of life.
May 21, 2013 23:53
- A Chinese man has used Google maps to locate his family, 23 years after he was abducted. Luo Gang, who was kidnapped when he was just five years old, used the online tool to locate two bridges - the only landmarks he remembered from his hometown.
May 18, 2013 13:34
- Kids in a far-eastern Russian orphanage have suffered frequent thrashings, seemingly at the hands of elder orphans. The children’s ordeal caused outrage after footage of the beatings went viral on YouTube.
May 17, 2013 15:24
- The use of dead children’s identities by undercover officers working for the London Metropolitan Police Service was common practice, a chief constable investigating the matter told MPs.
May 17, 2013 13:54
- A topless Femen activist burning a crucified doll was among dozens protesting against the opening of the ‘Barbie Dreamhouse’ in Berlin. Protesters say the giant dollhouse and “plastic idols” promote an “unhealthy beauty obsession” in kids.
May 16, 2013 18:49