- A Russian court has denied Pussy Riot member Maria Alyokhina’s request for early release. Meanwhile, former Beatles Paul McCartney wrote a letter to Russian authorities voicing his support for the punk protest group.
May 23, 2013 13:31
- Youth gang riots have rocked the Swedish capital Stockholm for four straight nights. Hundreds of mostly immigrant teenagers tore through the suburbs, smashing windows and burning cars in the country’s worst outbreak of violence in years.
May 23, 2013 08:13
- Amnesty International listed US indefinite detention of 166 prisoners at Guantanamo as the country’s primary human rights concern in its latest annual report. The paper also denounced drone strikes and uninvestigated deaths from secret CIA detentions.
May 23, 2013 08:21
- The Pentagon is requesting more than $450mln from lawmakers for maintaining and upgrading the Guantanamo Bay camp. The request comes as an intensifying hunger strike is ratcheting up pressure on President Barack Obama to push for the prison’s closure.
May 22, 2013 17:04
- An inmate at Guantanamo Bay prison has embarked on a Twitter campaign through his lawyer for the closure of the facility where he has been kept for 11 years, despite being cleared for release.
May 22, 2013 11:22
- A US judge has ruled that some testimony in the Bradley Manning trial will be heard behind closed doors to ensure that classified information is safeguarded.
May 22, 2013 12:55