Western countries made a 'mistake' three years ago, when they intervened in Libya to overthrow the Gaddafi regime, according to Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs. The statement came amid reports of the US discussing airstrikes on Libya's territory.
Once a welcome guest in European high society, Saif al-Islam Gaddafi now awaits trial for his alleged role in the 2011 uprising. Libyan militias are refusing to hand him over to the Hague tribunal, while skeptics doubt he will face a fair trial at home.
The United Nations refugee agency has said that a spike in violence between rival militias has displaced about 287,000 Libyans from their homes. Meanwhile UN chief Ban Ki-moon arrived in Tripoli Saturday for talks with the warring factions.
Egypt and the United Arab Emirates have been joining forces in secret to carry out air strikes on Libya, anonymous high-ranking US officials told the media. The two countries have reportedly coordinated and launched the attacks twice in the last week.
War planes have bombarded Tripoli, while the city’s main airport was severely damaged by fire. This came a day after it was captured by rebel fighters, the Fajr Libya (Dawn of Libya) coalition, who also says it has control of the Libyan capital.