Keep up with the news by installing RT’s extension for . Never miss a story with this clean and simple app that delivers the latest headlines to you.

 

Israel readies 'ground assault' on Gaza, calls up 40,000 reservists

Published time: July 08, 2014 12:47
Edited time: July 08, 2014 19:01
Israeli soldiers stand on Merkava tanks in an army deployment area near Israel's border with the Gaza Strip on July 8, 2014 (AFP Photo / Jack Guez)

Israeli soldiers stand on Merkava tanks in an army deployment area near Israel's border with the Gaza Strip on July 8, 2014 (AFP Photo / Jack Guez)

Israel’s army is formulating options to eradicate rocket fire coming from Gaza, “including ground assault,” an anonymous Israeli official stated on Tuesday. An unspecified number of troops are being called up after preliminary approval for 40,000.

Air raid sirens rang through Tel Aviv as Israel’s 'Iron Dome' anti-missile system intercepted a rocket in images shown on live television, shortly after the troop mobilization.

The sirens rang out for a second time just under three hours later as the 'Iron Dome' intercepted another rocket. Sirens sounded in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and the northern Israeli town of Binyamina.

The reserve soldiers were mobilized as backup for the regular forces in anticipation of a possible escalation in the conflict, spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Peter Lerner told Reuters.

Some 1,500 reservists had already been mobilized by the time that Israel approved the calling up of the extra 40,000. Israel’s security cabinet voted in favor of calling up the tens of thousands of extra personnel as part of a potential “ground operation.”

“The army is preparing for all possible scenarios, including an invasion or a ground operation,” an anonymous official told the AFP agency.

Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon said on Tuesday: “We are preparing for action against Hamas, which will not end within a few days,” according to RT’s Paula Slier from the Israeli/Gaza border area. More than100 sites in the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip were struck over the course of the day.

There will be no immediate attempts at cease-fire, an Israeli official stated. “It won't end in a day and it won't end in two days. It will take time,” Yitzhak Aharonovitch, the country's Cabinet minister for internal security, told Channel 2 TV.

“If we need to go inside in a ground operation, then we will do it. These things are on the table. These options exist. We will not stop anything until the rocket firing ends,” he said, stating that presently there were no efforts being made to broker a cease fire.

At least 15 Palestinians, among them three children, have been killed in the attacks, Palestinian medical officials told AP. Hamas stated shortly after discovering that at least two children had been killed, that "all Israelis" would be considered legitimate targets, according to AFP.

One specific assault targeted an Israeli assault on a house in the Gaza Strip, the Palestinian Interior Ministry reported on Tuesday. The home had belonged to the family of a Hamas member, local residents told Reuters, and six people died in the assault, two of which were the aforementioned children.

Tel Aviv Municipality is preparing to open public bomb shelters, reported Slier, and flights departing and arriving at Ben Gurion Airport are being diverted because of fears they could be hit by rocket fire, according to Haaretz.


Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu instructed the military earlier in the day to "take off the gloves," with one source claiming he told the IDF to "go all the way."

Interior Minister Gideon Sa'ar told Ynet on Tuesday that the IDF should take more aggressive measures in the Gaza Strip. "Israel need to step it up and operate with more ferocity against Hamas....I wouldn't rule out the possibility of rockets at Tel Aviv," Sa'ar stated.

Early on Tuesday, Israel began a major counter-offensive on Gaza, following the launch of over 85 rockets at southern Israel on Monday. The IDF deemed the figure to be higher.

Isra al-Modallal from the Ministry of Information in Gaza told RT that the strikes constituted a "real war" against Gaza, calling for an end to the "siege" and temed Israel's behavior "illegal and immoral".

Peter Lerner from the Israeli Defense Force asked RT: "What is the alternative? To just let Hamas terrorists continue their barrage or aggression, of rockets?"

"This is an unfortunate situation," he said. "Israel had no intention, no wish to go and attack Gaza, but Hamas put us in this corner."

Israeli army tanks are seen outside the central Gaza Strip July 8, 2014 (Reuters / Baz Ratner)


At least 14 people were injured as the Israeli Air Force carried out airstrikes against Hamas targets.


Operation Protective Edge was launched in Gaza following rocket fire, the Israeli Defense Force said on Twitter.


The Israeli air force and navy landed hits on 50 separate targets across Gaza.


A further official confirmed to AFP on Tuesday that the army had received instructions “to prepare different military alternatives in order to be ready in case of need.”

Russia, the US, France and the UK have all expressed unease over events in the Gaza Strip. Moscow has stated that "it is with deep concern" that there have been further escalations around Gaza and that the "use of force against the civilian population of Gaza deserves condemnation."

"I am deeply concerned by the recent escalation of violence in Gaza and southern Israel. I condemn the firing of rockets into Israel by Gaza-based militants," said the UK Foreign Secretary William Hague in a statement published by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

"All sides have a responsibility to respect in full the November 2012 ceasefire, and to address the underlying causes of conflict and instability in Gaza," he said.

The US stated that it "strongly" condemned continuing rocket fire inside of Israel and "the deliberate targeting of civilians by terrorist organizations in Gaza," White House spokesman Josh Earnest said at a news briefing. "We support Israel's right to defend itself against these vicious attacks."

France has urged all sides to show restraint, with Foreign Ministry spokesman Romain Nadal stating: "We reaffirm our rejection of any form of violence," reported Reuters.

Comments (161)

 

DrummerDave 10.07.2014 15:07

The parastic Muslim occupiers should be removed from Gaza and the East Bank and resetled in Jordan (Palestine) where they belong. And the mosque in Jerusalem should be destroyed! The Arabs have a landmass that is 500 times larger than Israel but insist on occupying and laying claim to land that is not, never has been, and will never be theirs. Only when this happens will there peace in Israel.

 

John Erps 09.07.2014 01:51

I can't beleave this! the same countries who are condemning this violence, are the same countries who are letting all the violence in Ukrane go on. army against the people. what a joke you guys are. why don't you say something about the violence in Ukrane. thing would be a lot difference if the president of these country would be the first ones in line when this starts. cause it would be over before it started.

 

Howie j 09.07.2014 01:41

Mark Veritas 08.07.2014 21:11

"#Hamas terrorists operate from civilian areas and use Palestinian civilians as human shields. Share it."

S o Israel continues to push the Palestinians further and further into an ever decreasing plot of land, behind the walls of a concentration camp, incessantly bomb their security and police infrastructure, then has the audacity to use the "human shield" propaganda line. The hypocrisy would be laughable if it weren't extremely tragic and demonic.

  

True





View all comments (161)
Add comment

Authorization required for adding comments

Register or

Name

Password

Show password

Register

or Register

Request a new password

Send

or Register

To complete a registration check
your Email:

OK

or Register

A password has been sent to your email address

Edit profile

X

Name

New password

Retype new password

Current password

Save

Cancel

Follow us

Follow us