Keep up with the news by installing RT’s extension for . Never miss a story with this clean and simple app that delivers the latest headlines to you.

 

No arrests in Boston Marathon bombing investigation

Published time: April 17, 2013 17:05
Edited time: April 18, 2013 00:51
A street is closed near the scene of twin bombings at the Boston Marathon on April 17, 2013 in Boston.(AFP Photo / Spencer Platt)

A street is closed near the scene of twin bombings at the Boston Marathon on April 17, 2013 in Boston.(AFP Photo / Spencer Platt)

Despite multiple media reports on the alleged arrest in the Boston Marathon bombing investigation, the FBI and local authorities confirm that no suspect has been detained.

CNN reported that a suspect was apprehended at 1:45 p.m. local time when journalist John King said both a federal source and a Boston law enforcement source confirmed the news. Reporter Fran Townsend then added over the phone that “there is an arrest that has been made in the Boston bombing case based off of two independent videos.”

The suspect was thought to be expected to arrive at a federal courthouse in Boston, but less than an hour later CNN says they are not certain on the status of the alleged arrest.

As of 2:40 p.m., the Boston Police Department and Department of Justice tell reporters that no arrest has been made, despite earlier claims.

Earlier that afternoon, CNN reported shortly after 1 p.m. that a suspect has apparently been identified. The suspect’s name has not been made public as of this time, but he is reportedly a dark-skinned male, according to police.

According to CNN’s sources, surveillance video from a Lord and Taylor department store and a local television station are believed to have helped authorities identify the person sought responsible for Monday’s incident, which US President Barack Obama said on Tuesday is being investigated as an act of terror.

CNN’s King reports from Boston that the video footage helped police narrow in on a person being considered a suspect in the attack “to such detail, I’m told, that they believe they have a clear identification, including a facial image of a suspect.”

The footage, sources say, show the suspect carrying and perhaps placing down a black bag that is thought to have contained a bomb that was detonated at the second of two crime scenes near the finish line of the annual Boston Marathon just before 3 p.m. on Monday.

The mayor of Boston, Massachusetts has confirmed that a suspect was ID’d, and officials are expected to speak to the press at 5 p.m. Wednesday afternoon. According to sources speaking to the Boston Globe, authorities may publicize their findings at that briefing.

Investigators lower an evidence bag collected from a roof top near the site of two explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon in Boston, Massachusetts April 17, 2013.(Reuters / Brian Snyder)

Comments (274)

Anonymous user 18.04.2013 06:18

you need to get over yourselves and deal with it!! (part2)

Anonymous user 18.04.2013 04:24

What year is this ?

Anonymous user 18.04.2013 03:04

In wake of Boston Bombing, Massive Looting in Hyde Park, Mattapan and Dorchester.

View all comments (274)
Add comment

Authorization required for adding comments

Register or

Name

Password

Show password

Register

or Register

Request a new password

Send

or Register

To complete a registration check
your Email:

OK

or Register

A password has been sent to your email address

Edit profile

X

Name

New password

Retype new password

Current password

Save

Cancel

Follow us