Keep up with the news by installing RT’s extension for . Never miss a story with this clean and simple app that delivers the latest headlines to you.

 

Hoax? Boston police evacuate marathon finish line, detonate suspicious device

Published time: April 16, 2014 00:14
Edited time: April 18, 2014 10:37
Boston Police officers and a K-9 unit patrol the finish line of the Boston Marathon.(AFP Photo /  Jared Wickerham)

Boston Police officers and a K-9 unit patrol the finish line of the Boston Marathon.(AFP Photo / Jared Wickerham)

The Boston Police Department investigated two unattended backpacks near the finish line area of the city’s marathon. A man thought to have left one of the bags was taken into custody, though it appears to have been a hoax.

The Boston Police Department's bomb squad was sent to check the bags, and officers cleared the area around the marathon's finish line - at Boylston and Dartmouth Streets - at around 7 p.m. local time on Tuesday, according to local news outlets.

Police "disrupted" two of the bags for "precautionary reasons." At around 9 p.m., a bomb squad using a robot inspected and conducted a controlled detonation of a bag, a routine measure, according to reports. An additional detonation reportedly occurred at around 9:35 p.m.

A barefoot man wearing a black veil over his head yelling “Boston Strong” was wearing a large backpack at the scene before the area was cleared, according to reports. The man has been identified as Kayvon Edson, Boston's CBS affiliate WBZ-TV reported.

Witnesses say Edson left a bag at the finish line before running off. He was later taken into police custody.

WBZ-TV reported that Edson told police he was carrying a rice cooker in his backpack, prompting the bomb squad. Another source told WBZ-TV that the rice cooker in the bag was full of confetti.

Edson has been charged with disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, and possession of a hoax device, according to WBZ’s Steven Bognar.

The second suspicious bag near the finish line belonged to a media outlet, according to CNN. Both bags were cleared by police.

Tuesday was the one-year anniversary of the bombings at the 2013 marathon which killed three people and injured around 264 others. The 2014 Boston Marathon will take place on Monday, April 21.

Comments (39)

 

Tim Haveman 19.04.2014 09:59

Fake. Fake. Fake. Hollywood Puff-boom. Crisis actors. Fake blood. Victims previously amputees. Can we please get a moment of silence? Please pray none of these bad actors screws up and tells the truth.

 

Holly Parks 19.04.2014 09:17

Never know where the next false flag is going to come from. Those were fireworks that went off in Boston. They showed the same person at Sandyhoax being interviewed at Boston. It's called their crisis actors. Hollywood2...crisis actors flew into action with their stretchers, but someone was caught lying on the stretcher as it was wheeled in from across the street. Funny Travon Martins parents got $2 million from an insurance policy that was written 1 month AFTER he got shot.

 

Claudette Walker 17.04.2014 06:45

Really!!!! Getting us ready for more government intervention to save us poor citizens. Everyone should be careful our government is up to something. How is America going to ever wake up when new technology is invented daily to dumb us down. Wake up America put down your phones, stop texting, watching reality television and being enamored with the drones of Hollywood. Wake up they are up to something. More false flags to come, hopefully no one will get hurt or killed.

View all comments (39)
Add comment

Authorization required for adding comments

Register or

Name

Password

Show password

Register

or Register

Request a new password

Send

or Register

To complete a registration check
your Email:

OK

or Register

A password has been sent to your email address

Edit profile

X

Name

New password

Retype new password

Current password

Save

Cancel

Follow us

Follow us