Keep up with the news by installing RT’s extension for . Never miss a story with this clean and simple app that delivers the latest headlines to you.

 

‘Will NSA quit spying on us now?’ Social media’s farcical romp in face of shutdown

Published time: October 01, 2013 14:13
Edited time: October 02, 2013 10:21
image from http://washingtonexaminer.com

image from http://washingtonexaminer.com

Veterans have stormed their WWII Memorial in Washington DC in protest over the government shutdown. Blushing brides have had their weddings postponed, indefinitely… Is it a farce or simply a fiasco being played out in Washington’s corridors of power?

The crux of the budget disagreement is of course no laughing matter. Vital services such as food assistance to low-income families risk being cut and the nation’s economy is expected to be severely compromised with so many government employees out of work.

Incidentally, the president and members of Congress who got the American people into this mess will continue to be paid.

The US government shutdown is a major headache and the cure is a bitter pill laced with sardonic humor. Many Americans clearly view the shutdown as a comedy of errors and so are playing it for laughs. Trending on Twitter is the ‘No budget, no pants’ campaign, inviting people to take their trousers off in order to air their grievances.
It’s just one of a slew of trenchant and droll memes and tweets flying round the internet, roundly denouncing both political camps. 

The #govtshutdown Twitter tag came alive with plenty of opinions on just how little some Americans thought of a federal government, anyway, even before the shutdown. Others spoke out in support of and against the current administration.

Whereas #govtshutdownpickuplines displayed Twitter users’ wit in combining sexual innuendo with budget-crisis lingo. 

Not too far behind in popularity was the #govtshutdownplaylist, featuring pop classics to accompany the financial turmoil.

And just as humor denouncing the government, the Congress and the Republicans kept sprouting up, so did articles attempting to debunk and fact-check the ‘myths’ perpetrated by the opposing camp.

The popular quip that shutting down the government means less money for NSA spying is unfortunately not true. The clandestine organization’s spying initiative falls under the category of ‘essential government service’. So while poor families won’t get any assistance, they can still be spied on.

Unfortunately, the bill for the government shutdown will be astronomical and will strain the talents of the best comedians.

But a large portion of the pictures were non-partisan and reflected the American public’s discontent with their government in general – both the parties and the Congress.

RT offers a small selection of the latest from the world of US-government-shutdown funnies.



Comments (12)

 

Harold Giddings 21.10.2013 20:05

Tony Jackson 04.10.2013 20:24

Here is a guy who betrayed his country.

  

Oh look we've got a sheepeople here, Our county betrayed us. I'm surprised a sheep even knows how to get to RT, I think Fox news is more for you.

 

Tony Jackson 04.10.2013 20:39

I really dont see how people in any country (russia, china, brazil) or anywhere can defend this guy Edward Snowden. Its the principle behind what he did. Seriously! If a guy came to the US with secrets from Russia or from Iran or from anywhere.....i really could not respect that guy. I'd be like..."thanks for the secrets" but i would not defend his actions. If a guy from your country revealed secrets that helped your enemies.....how would you feel ?

 

Tony Jackson 04.10.2013 20:24

Mr. Snowden is the joke. He is a traitor. He is a snitch. Seriously, how can anyone defend this guy !? Here is a guy who betrayed his country. It does not matter whether or not you think the NSA Surveillance is right or wrong. I really don't care about the Surveillance program. 97% of people in the US have conversations/commun ications that the NSA is not even concerned about. So who cares as long as it helps keep the other 3 percent from doing harm to others. Edward snowden is a loser in all this. Good ridens. Russia can have him. Im sure alot of US citizens feel the same way I do.

View all comments (12)
Add comment

Authorization required for adding comments

Register or

Name

Password

Show password

Register

or Register

Request a new password

Send

or Register

To complete a registration check
your Email:

OK

or Register

A password has been sent to your email address

Edit profile

X

Name

New password

Retype new password

Current password

Save

Cancel

Follow us

Follow us